From Pattaya to Nong Khai. Best way to travel?

zanemay

I am going to make a visa run to NK in about two weeks. The overnight sleeper has been recommended from BKK. I assume one would not hook up with it from Pattaya, but bus into BKK? How does one specify "overnight sleeper" and what train station and what times?

Or should I fly. If so, I minibus to BKK and fly to - I forget where, but it's 70km from NK. 3800 baht for air ticket.

What would you do? (Oh, I want to see NK, not just make visa run.)

Thanks,

Zane

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they have a computer, and believe they do, you should be able to get tickets at the Pattaya Train Station. You decide what train and then the class and if you want sleeper and if upper or lower (more room). Second class air conditioned is your best bet at this time of the year. They will give you a total price based on class/berth/type of train/aircon. You can get the train at Don Muang Station and not have to travel downtown.

If you fly it would be into Udorn and then bus to the border.

The railway web site is quite good at: State Railway of Thailand

a friend of mine goes to nong khai by overnight sleeper. the train leaves from hualamphong train station 845pm and arrives at 810am in nong khai.

i have never heard, that nong khai has a airport with regular flights; udon thani would be next airport. however vientiane, which is across the river from nong khai has a airport with regular flights from bangkok, but i guess you would need a visa for laos.

I think it is a good place for a visa run. But if you fly you will have to go to odon thani. There is a shuttle bus from the airport to nong khai for 100 baht. Then 10 baht for the mini bus to the border. The way back is kind of a pain though, because there are soooo many touts and it is impossible to get info one which bus will take you back to the airport. I ended up spliting a cab. for about 200 for each of the two of us. I would really recomend going into Vientiene if you have never been there. It is very different from LOS, and not a very well developed sanuk scene. But it is really a fun place to spend a few days. rent a moped and check out the markets ect. They also have some really nice restaruants, and the bakeries are great. They also have some very serious coffee.

Probably the train is better, but for the info, and you may know, the Bus company "407" has a trip to Nong Khai from Pattaya. Air-con but not VIP, and looooong (14 hours).

the bus departs from the back of the "Q8" gas station left of Pattaya Klang as you come from the beach, on Sukhumvit.

Okay...thanks....

I think I'll try the train.

So...I will order a 1st class sleeper ticket? Or second class sleeper? The choices on the state web site were many and confusing.

Where is the train station in Pattaya?

Where is the station in BKK and what is the best bus from Pattaya to get there?

Thanks

Zane

Archived