From Pattaya to Nong Khai. Best way to travel?

zanemay

Train station in Pattaya is on the other side of Sukhumvit Highway just North of Central Road. In Bangkok the main station is on Rama IV just as you enter the Chinatown area but trains as being changed to Bang Sue Junction this year to help road traffic and that is near the weekend market. Would suggest getting the train at Don Muang Station directly across from the airport. You can take the normal bus service to Morchit II (North Bus Station) and a taxi or the bus/van service directly from Pattaya to Don Muang and walk across on the hotel access skywalk. I don't know which is best as don't travel that route.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zane.

train is a good option i think.

if you are easy with time,not in a rush then train is a nice way to travel.

i don't know about getting from Pattaya to Bangkok,but train station in BKK is easy i think?.

are there 2?,but i think the taxi's would know where you want to go.

have a good journey and enjoy,i did.

Get to BKK, then up to you...:) Seriously, I think if you have the cash and are in a hurry, flying from BKK to Udon Thani is a decent option, then a van to Nong Kai. A cheaper option might be Bus to BKK, and a visa run service/mini bus to Poi Pet Cambodia, could be done in one long day!

A cheaper option might be Bus to BKK, and a visa run service/mini bus to Poi Pet Cambodia, could be done in one long day!

No need to go to BKK for that option. Direct visa run service from Pattaya is available.

I took the train from Bangkok to Nong Khai last Sunday night to do a Vientiane visa run. Had an upper 2nd class berth. Had little or no sleep. Train is very noisy and rough riding and there are passengers, train crew, etc. constantly moving up and down the aisles with attendant noise. Many, many stops along the way. Given that I'm 6'2" & 200 lbs. the berth was very uncomfortable. Train was 2 hours late arriving in NK. Maybe I got a trainee engineer?

If you're going to take the train get a 2nd class lower berth or probably better a 1st class berth. These go first and may not be available if you don't book early. Also, get a seat in the middle of the car - something like #14 that way you don't have to listen to the door between cars open and close everytime someone comes through. I'd board at Hualampong and get there at least a half hour before departure so you can get your luggage situated as there's limited room and some folks will have 3 or 4 pieces.

You could go from Pattaya via bus to the Ekkamai and take the Skytrain from there to Siam Station - assuming you only have a carry-on size bag. From Siam (or National Stadium) take a taxi on to the railway station. This avoids much of the traffic you'd otherwise encounter. There's food and drink available on board or you could bring your own. There's also a bar car.

As Dave indicated Vientiane is really nice and I enjoyed my 3 days there.

I gave my return train ticket away and flew back from Vientiane :)

-redwood

If you're going to take the train get a 2nd class lower berth or probably better a 1st class berth
Agree on lower berth but advise against 1st class as you sleep across the tracks and each stop/slowdown seriously rocks you. Got no sleep the only time I used 1st class. Am 6" and head/toe touch so can understand your problem with the upper berth. The track noise was a serious problem on the old cars but the newer Korean cars seem much more quiet (these have bag storage under seats vice in aisle). Advise about middle of car is good as if a bunch of drinkers making visa runs are on board can be noisy quite late. ::

sorry to hear of the rough journeys had by members.

when i took the train,i had a 2nd class upper berth and had a god journey and plenty of sleep.

never heard anyone else moving around and pissed off the conductor when i woke him up by mistake.

but then again i did share the bunk with my girl and she took good care of me just before sleeptime.... :grinyes:

Archived