england squad

sfcfan

owen , part time jeffers , donkey heskey, cant score in a brothel vassells and school boy rooney - what the hell is sven thinking?

call me biased but surely beattie deserves to at least be in the squad. dissappointing selection i feel and we will be rewarded accordingly.

saints 2 watford 0 - FA cup final for the first time in 27 years - come on you reds!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Jeffers played well last time out. Rooney, did look great Sunday. He's not a starter but he's a good substitute off the bench. Also, to be fair Owen did start in a world cup final at 18 y.o. Beattie has gotten back his form recently and is a viable golden boot candidate. But I just don't see him as an international. He deserves the chance however but I think he will prove through his play he's a league player and not an international player. The good and bad of Heskey scoring is, its good for the Reds bad for the national team as he gets a spot on the team. Owen has found his touch again. He requires a midfielder or a strike partner to feed him goals though.

Beattie has gotten back his form recently and is a viable golden boot candidate. But I just don't see him as an international. He deserves the chance however

how do we know if he is a good choice?,Sven will not pick him and give him the chance.

all Sven sees is 'hamstring' Owen and 'Donkey' Heskey.

perhaps the FA should fastrack Ruud's and Thierry's conversion to English citizanship.

that would be a good combination up front.

'Also, to be fair Owen did start in a world cup final at 18 y.o'.

yyyyyyeeeeesssss,i've finally got you Steve.

Owen started in a WC Final at 18? the only final England were involved was in 1966.

this makes Owen 55,and i have never seen his name mentioned alongside Ball,Charlton,Peters and Moore.

found this great little article on the net and i think it applies here so i pasted, cut it for the guys to ponder over:

The more you think about it, the more scandalous the decision to omit Beatts becomes. Firstly, some of the media have suggested that as he failed to shine with England's 1st XI then he should pay the price. Now correct me if I'm wrong but when you are starved of service for 45 minutes and England's so-called superstars fail to give you a single chance is that your (Beattie's) fault? England were woeful in the first half against Australia so why is Beattie - on his debut no less - taking the fall for everyone playing badly? Which leads us nicely to messrs Heskey and Jeffers. Neither player has the ability to remain upright for 90 mins - Heskey because he simply doesn't have the ability to stay upright and Jeffers because he likes to take a tumble and con the ref when a defender or keeper comes within 20 yards him. This is something that Jeffers clearly learnt at a very young age and it will clearly be part of his game for the rest of his career. It's sad but he isn't going to change. Neither player is on form, neither player is a regular starter for their club and yet they somehow warrant selection ahead of the country's leading goalscorer. Vassells did shine a year ago on his debut he's been found wanting at international level ever since - how can anyone not see that? Sure Rooney is promising enough but wouldn't be better off playing 90 mins for the U21 side rather than sitting on the bench for 2 games? And why pick one target man and four more mobile strikers? Where's the balance there? Clearly Sven rates Heskey. Okay, whatever - all managers have their favourites. Obviously Owen will start too but the selection of the other three is just absurd. Yes, Vassells and Jeffers scored on their England debuts - so does that mean they're in for life now because Sven was so right about them? Watch Arsenal and ask yourself if Jeffers really is an international centre forward. Ditto with Villa and Vassells. Then watch Beatts play for southampton. He holds the ball up, he's brilliant in the air, he runs the channels well, he takes players on down the flanks, he does his fair share of defending and he scores from anywhere! I mean come on, who's going to do the damage against a well drilled defence like Turkey's? Heskey who can't stand up for falling down? Jeffers who goes down if you so much look at him? If it wasn't so wrong it would be funny and Sven may well rue the day he dropped Beattie especially if we only get 4 point from these two crucial games.

hahaha sfcfan. semantics. I've heard the WC being called the finals, not the actual last 2 clus. so there!

Although I think Beattie may not prove to be a good international, I totally agree he deserves a chance. Heskey, I'm still scratching my head over. Owen, well he is the safe bet. If he doesn't include Owen and they lose, they'll blame it on him not having Owen in. Jeffers may or may not be a diver but he is good at finding spaces in a crowded box and poaching goals off rebounds. He has that uncoachable knack of being in the right place at the right time when he is in the box.

I can see your point with Rooney being played more in the U21 side for more international experience. Especially since he is not a regular starter and he is all too often undisciplined.

Defoe is another I'd like to see have a go also.

Beattie can not be blamed for the lack of chances against Australia. I want him to play...to show that he is NOT international quality. Maybe he is, but I don't see it. I question his pace. As far as the Oz game, Becks wasn't into the game. He's the primary player you look for to feed a Beattie or an Owen and he just wasn't up to it.

I also rate Kirkland over Robinson and James. Cudicini is eligible for citizenship soon but it would send the wrong signal to native keepers. He is quality though. Possibly the best GK in the PL this year.

Who is playing left back? With Cole being out, I don't know who is his replacement.

Totally agree that Beattie deserves a chance before Jeffers. My point was that I don't think he will probably make it if given a chance. I think Jeffers may be more effective. Not as a starter but off the substitutions bench if we are behind and need a 'fox in the box'.

Robinson is reported to be looking at flats in 'narf laandan' so I guess Arsenal will continue to have England's #1 keeper if rumours are correct. Mills to follow him also? I still see Kirkland as better long term than Robinson but its debatable. James certainly not.

England's midfield seems lacking when you compare it to the top 4 or 5 countries. Becks can cross well and pass, Scholes is comparable to other quality midfielders, Gerrard is too inconsistent though.

"Robinson is reported to be looking at flats in 'narf laandan' so I guess Arsenal will continue to have England's #1 keeper if rumours are correct. "

Actually, even if I said Robinson is the best prospect - I wouldn't be too broken if he leaves. We've got Nigel Martyn as well.

But looking at a house/flat in London? I remeber a story before this season. Young Rooney went to a real estate agent in London with another Everton player - he was thrown out as they mistook him for a bum! :D He wasn't looking for a move to a another club for sure, they have cash these guys.

Cheers!

Archived