england squad

sfcfan

Dear Steve,

I noticed this little phrase; "IF we are behind". Does this mean Arsenal, as I know and respect of you or are you trying to tell me now that you're also supporting the English squad??? :doah:

What happened with your love and dedication for the Dutch national team? :bow: Or Team US for that matter? :dunno:

Come on Steve get real.

:banghead:

Sorry you English lads, gotta set him straight again. :neener:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Limbo, it may be a Freudian slip. One builds an affinity for the English team after watching the league so closely. I'm first and foremost a supporter of the U.S. national team with regards to international competition.

I recognise all the English players so I watch them. Same with most of the Dutch team (Vitesse, yeah!!)

I don't like the Italian, Brasilian and German sides. Combination of jealousy or personal prejudices depending on the country. :(

Since choosing Arsenal I've reluctantly embraced the French squad which is tantamount to treason for an American.

Check_Bin, Rooney got thrown out because they heard his accent. He's from Liverpool isn't he? They don't trust Scousers (is that word offensive? I hear it used but not sure) in London. Tell him to fake a cockney accent and wear an Arsenal shirt and he'll be fine. ::

Okay, will England make it to the Semi Finals at least? Someone write a report tomorrow, the pub is charging $20 cover charge. No way I'm paying that to see Lichtenstein. Turkey maybe.

Says check_bin_krap:

"What happened with your love and dedication for the Dutch national team? Or Team US for that matter? "

Red cross are knocking at the door now! They have a worthy cause, as you have Limbo.

We have to choose here!!!
:neener:

Cheers!

Hi CBK,

OK OK, but you guys are discussing your attacking personal of the team and if you look at it, is it even worth the while. Is this what English football came down to :dunno::grinyes::devil::neener:

Hi Steve,

nice try to blame it on Freud :neener: Glad that's straightened out tho.

Currently I'm not too mad about the Italians (last time Holland played them we missed 2 penalties against 10 Italians and lost out on a penalty shoot out), neither the Brazilians (same same but different, although I'm sure we would've beaten them or France in France in the finals :rolleyes:) and nobody but the Germans really likes the them anyway, at least in Europe. :o

England to the semi finals, no. I just don't think they have enough quality.

If Holland wins tonight, than we almost qualify. Ahum.

There's no doubt about it - Beattie should have be in. At the very least he would have boosted our aerial threat.

I don't think England lack much in midfield. There aren't that many outstanding creative midfielders anywhere. And the same players can be outstanding in European games and in the Premiership. It's just the slow way they play for England that is unflattering. Why don't they play a fast, pressing, attacking game?

Here's a snippet of an article saying what a few ex-England internationals thought of Sven:

CHRIS WADDLE 62 caps, 1985 - 1992

WHAT HAS SVEN BROUGHT TO THE ENGLAND TEAM?

He steadied the ship at a difficult time. He?s had a calming influence on the team and the FA. Getting to Japan gave everybody a massive lift and although he was bound to get some criticism, when journalists were ready with knives not pens, he weathered that storm. Winning our group was a big achievement.

WHAT DOES HE STILL HAVE TO DO?

I think he?s got to be more ruthless when it comes to calling upon players. All the players should be ready to play for a full game when required. If they?re not, don?t pick them. He?s worked very hard to have a relationship with Premiership managers, but it could prove his downfall if everything goes pear-shaped.

MY STRONGEST ENGLAND XI?

4-3-2-1: P Robinson ? J Samuel, J Terry, J Woodgate, A Cole ? D Beckham, S Gerrard, D Murphy ? K Dyer, P Scholes ? M Owen.

THE FUTURE FOR SVEN?

I wouldn?t look beyond the next result. That has always been the case for the national managers of England, Italy, Germany and Spain. Our long-term problem is that we haven?t got an artist like Zidane or Ronaldo. Wayne Rooney and Joe Cole, who I?d definitely have on the bench, are the nearest we?ve got and that is why we should be playing a high-tempo game, like in the Premiership.

just to go off topic a little.

sitting here watching the game and Beck's has just scored the 2nd goal.

crap game and England are disappointing.

but one thing i have noticed.

along the touchline opposite where the camera is positioned is a big advertising hoarding.

and what does it advertise...........SINGHA BEER.

is this a popular beer in Liechenstein?,is there a Thai community there?.

i can't see it being advertised for the benefit of the Btits watching.

Sayjann,

that is on expected ad indeed.

Although it was a crappy game, at least you got the 3 points, but than again, what do you expect against Liechtenstein.

Holland, true to it's recent international results managed a draw at home against Chechia, the only other contenders in the group. Great.

Other outstanding result, Germany's draw and Wales' run for the qualification, 4 wins out of 4.

In a friendly Portugal beat Brazil 2-1. Must be a morale boost for the Postuguese, since they're qualified already.

I was able to catch a tape of the game later in the afternoon. It wasn't an exciting match. There are a few things that were posted I definitely agree with. 1) A creative player is needed in the Zindande, Rivaldo mode. 2) the national team should play the same type of game they do at home.

Aren't the players used to that type of game? One of the problems England advanced well in the WC playing the way it is presently playing. Beating Argentina and losing a close game to Brazil is not at all for any side in the World Cup.

Will England play up to the level of competition as they down to it like Macedonia and Lichtenstein?

I don't think the players were personally satisfied with the performance. The responses in interviews seemed scripted. "...it was a professional performance...3 points is all that matters..." all of them said the same thing including Sven.

Okay, play the twilight zone music. A Leeds supporter at the pub asked if Ferguson wouldn't make a good England manager after he retires. His tactics and ability to work with English players into an attacking team as well as his reputation which would garner him respect (yeah, I laughed too!) would be good ingredients for a successful team.

I kinda, sorta see the logic in it. Any thoughts? I know Sayjann would love that. I wonder if Campbell or Cole would still be on the team. :(

Fergie as England Manager?

he was one of the choices when Keegan threw in the towel,but do not think he could be prised away from Utd.

would he have the respect of many of the players?,i doubt it and also the media would be terrified of him.

i've said before i'm not a big fan of watching England and the last game was a good reason why.

England were CRAP,they should be beating teams like Liechinstein easily.

we have a team of very recognisable players who earn thousands of pounds a week.

yet they struggle against a semi-pro team.

they should be ashamed.

Liechenstein were unlucky not to get a goal,they deserved it.

i know 3 points is 3 points,but it would be good to see them play with some style and conviction.

if they play like that against Turkey,they could be in for a big shock.

i saw the Portugal/Brazil game and was enthralled.

a lot of great players and end to end stuff.

in the 1st half the 2 free-kicks by Carlos and Rivaldo were awesome.

but the irony of the game was immense.

Deco was born Brazilian,but now has Portugese Citizenship and on his debut scored a free-kick which would have done any Brazilian proud.

Archived