MP3 Player in Bangkok ?

MadStockBroker

If you want a CD walkman size, I got a VCD/CD/MP3/CDR/CDRW a couple of months ago in Panthip. 4000B, it was the "proper shop" on the 2nd floor - cant remember the name but its the big one facing the entrance, it was actually cheaper than bargaining the smaller shops. I could have got a cheaper one but wanted the additional CDR/CDRW capability.

A dedicated MP3 I dont know.

Says MadStockBroker:

Hi,

Anyone know where I can get an MP3 player from locally ?

Price? Spec?

Thanks,

MSB

Not too many places sell them anymore. I bought my current player (a Samsung) at Central and the previous one (a Creative) at Panthip. But the craze just hasn't picked up here in Thailand like in other places.

I'm in the market for a new MP3 player- ideally something with a mini hard drive so I can store a few gigs worth of songs, rather than just the 128 megs that my current player is capable of. Not sure if the MAC store carried the iPOD- last I heard they were making it PC compatible. Other companies should by now have comparable MP3 players on the market but I've seen nothing yet here in Thailand.

Cheers!

Says MadStockBroker:

Crash, how many songs can you get on the 128meg player ?

About 30-40 at a high bit rate +128.

The problem with the CF players is that you always have to load your songs in them and that can be pretty inconvenient. They are great for working out with at the gym or jogging because of their light weight and they don't skip.

The hardrive players are the best IMO because you can store any type of data on them as well as your MP3's and they show on your system as an extra hard drive in which you can drag and drop you files.

I recently bought the Archos jukebox for US$250 which is a hard drive based system. The capacity is 20gigs but in reality it really is 18.75 gigs. My entire MP3 collection is on it and it is great for those 20hr flights to Asia from the States even though the battery life is 10hrs. The thing downloads in a blur because it is a USB 2.0. The other reason I bought it is because it is also a voice recorder and FM station player. The player is not intuitive and the software on it is a little slow but for the price I can't beat it.

Creative has a Zen player for US$300 and it is nice except it doesn't have a record feature like the Archos but it does have better software.

The best drive player is the Ipod from Apple and they have a PC compatible version but you have to install a firewire card for another $50-75. The thing is intuitive, consumer friendly and dummy free. The problem is that their 20 gig is US$500 and I don't want to pay a premium for it. It also doesn't have a record function.

Another option I would suggest is that you can get an MP3 portable disc player for US$75-150 and you can put about 200 MP3's on a 700mb CD. The battery life on these things are awesome with about 50hrs per charge.

I don't know where you can get these devices in BKK but I would order them online or have a friend bring one over for you.

Archived