SARS

gsoutien

The doctor (Urbini?) who first spotted it in Hanoi died in Bangkok yesterday which kind of throws the "2-7 days" incubation out the window
He arrived sick and was in hospital here for weeks before he died so don't believe it says anything about the incubation period, which is believed to be from 2-10 days at present. Most people have not recovered quickly and that was the real panic at first as people were not getting better.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Hong Kong out of 600 or so diagnosed from around 10 days ago they have now released around 60 as cured. Most of the ones who have dies in HK ( total 15) are sick or elderly most others are surviving.

They think it came to HK from one of the original doctors who treated the first outbreak in Guangdong a couple of months ago, he stayed at a hotel in HK and infected a bunch of people. He since died in China.

Its "mask city" city here in Hk with people afraid to go out. But I tend to agree with the other poster who said its really been a bit overblown.

Strars99,

I'm due to arrive in Hong Kong April 24th for a few days before proceeding to LOS. I havent noticed a decline in the hotel rates as of yet. I'm sure the hotel industry has be hit hard because of SARS ::

Found this info on www.nu.nl

It's a Dutch news site,

Een van de SARS-doden van dinsdag is volgens de WHO een man in België, de eerste in dat land. In België zelf is daarover overigens twijfel ontstaan. De man was twee weken geleden teruggekeerd uit Bangkok.

Belgium has his first SARS victim (deadly). The man came two weeks ago from BangKok.

and the other one...

Sindsdien zijn 34 mensen in China, zestien in Hongkong, vier in Vietnam, vier in Canada, vier in Singapore, twee in Thailand en een in België aan de longziekte bezweken, aldus de WHO.

in short.. two people have died in Thailand on SARS..

:( what do i do.. reschedule my trip..? ::

Tonecold

There is normally a large trade show in early april, the whole show was cancelled. We Would usually have around 20 rooms booked for various clients - all cancelled.

We have had calls from some travel agents indicating that they could get very good deals for the early April period due to these cancellations.

In Masterton (I may be wrong, but small town) in NZ. A delegation of some 50 Chinese have been banned from a 'Sister City' conference and celebration upon their arrival. The fear is that they are all SARS infected. They are also unwelcome in accommodation and transport of that town. I suppose the far thinking residents of this small town have considered the damage this will do to International relations between NZ and China and also to NZ's tourism industry. Will they next be painting white crosses on the doors of any Asian resident of this enlightened town?

Meanwhile the rest of NZ has welcomed the unfortunate delegates and their spend. Looks like they might have a nice holiday instead of attending a boring conference.

:: :: ::

Says tonecold:

Strars99,

I'm due to arrive in Hong Kong April 24th for a few days before proceeding to LOS. I havent noticed a decline in the hotel rates as of yet. I'm sure the hotel industry has be hit hard because of SARS ::

I absolutely would not go to Hong Kong before Thailand, I would cancel that portion of my trip if I were you because:

A) Hong Kong has one of the highest rates of SARS.

B) They now think it is easy to catch on a plane.

C) Because it is easy to catch on plane Thai officials are carefully screening flights coming in from infected areas.

D) Thailand has already annnounced they reserve the right to cancel flights coming in from effected areas if they decide it's in the countries best intrest.

E) Thai officials have announced they reserve the right to quarentine people suspected of having SARS and this could include a plane load of people who arrive on a flight with someone who is suspected of haveing the virus.

I wouldn't do it. Not worth the hassle, not worth the risk of spoiling your vacation.

Kryptoknight

I am planning to cancel the hong kong leg of my trip only because of the stigma attached to arriving in a plane from HK. 99.9 % of the HK population is SARS free, so I like my chances of not catching the disease.

My problem is that even if I cancel my Hong Kong portion, I will be arriving on a plane via Beijing. While Beijing has only had 12 reported cases, I fear that the fact it is mainland China will cause the same alarm as if I had arrived from the Guangdong Province :(

I seriously dont know what to do at this point. I would hate to travel all the way from the US and then not be allowed into the country because I spent several days in China. I cant change the China portion of my trip since it is business related.

Says gsoutien:

I'm due to arrive in BKK on April 27th via HK. I'll be in HK for only 2 hours. Hope this won't be a problem at BKK airport.

The problem is not that you will be in the airport 2 hours, the problem is you will be traveling with a plane load of people, some of whom live there.

I am not trying to alarm you, but if someone on the flight has SARS symptoms, they could quarnteen your flight. I am not making this stuff up, there have been articles about this in the Bangkok post.

Any chance you can travel through a differant country?

Archived