Wanted: Update on SARs Screening at Don Muang

vic2244

"All travellers returning from Hong Kong, China, Vietnam, Singapore and Taiwan must stay home for at least 14 days or face legal action, the Public Health Ministry announced yesterday."

1. They are taking SARS very seriously. Not only is there a fear that it will spread quickly and kill many, but they are already seeing a drop in tourism because of it.

2. They have decided to drop promoting tourism to Thailand from the "affected" countries. Basically putting money where their mouth is.

3. The rules sound a littel half-baked (for example, not addressing those who won't be in Thailand for two weeks, or those who don't have homes in Thailand), so it does this one does have a flavor of authenticity.

I really hope health officials worldwide put the lid on this but quick -no telling how bad this could get. One might go so far as to suggest that kissing b*rgirls could bring on something worse than a cold sore.

Rick F.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All,

I just had a meeting with a Singaporean client who flew into Bangkok this morning (April 2, 2003). He reported that there were nurses in surgical masks awaiting the plane's arrival, but they did nothing more than watch the passengers file by. No one was stopped or questioned.

I suspect that as long as you're not coughing up blood as you're getting off of a plane, you'll be fine.

Says Yehtmae:

That's the story we're getting. My boss travels to hongkong regularly and he had his secretary check with the Public Health Ministry. Looks like he won't be going there for a while!

I am in the travel business and are changing flights that transit and or stopovers in these countries.

A big headache but they will not take a chance.

Hope this is sorted out real fast for all our sake.

Am due to go to bkk soon i just do'nt know what to do at the moment...a real worry

Vic,

just "saw" you were trying to contact the consulate in Hong Kong which gave me an idea.......

I will try also and if any results then I will post an update.

SB,.

Because I desparately do not want to cancel my trip in two weeks time maybe I'm clutching at straws. But doesn't the article in Bangkok Post say "returning from" i.e. in the sense that you first have to be a resident of Thailand (Thai or ex pat) and have initially left Thailand and are now returning to your place of residence, for these 'laws' to apply. The article does not seem to apply to tourists but I may be way off beam here due to wishful thinking !!!!

Cheers Hall

They seem to be backing down on the 14 day confinement, at least for tourists, and now require use of face mask at all time for any visitor from a SARS area and immediate deportation of anyone with signs of SARS (don't know how they plan to do that as no airline will fly them). Same six months (max) in jail or fine still applies to tourists and face mask use.

Vic,

I have recieved some information from my sources in Hong Kong that you should be okay to get into Thailand and practically carry on as per normal. The information I have goes along the lines of:

If there is a suspected case of SARS on your flight to Bangkok then that specific person will be quarantined and everyone on that flight *should* be tested for SARS. Assuming there is a case then as long as you pass the test then you should be fine to carry on as normal.

If there is no suspected cases then the testing will be more relaxed at Don Muang airport and the information recieved in Hong Kong is that the checking has been very minimal at the airport. This again will mean you should be able to carry on as normal.

The article in the Bangkok Post was relating to Thai Citizens/Residents only and not tourists, however, if you are infected by SARS then obviously you will be quarantined.

Lastly, it seems the rhetoric coming out from Government offices sounds very strict and there is a double standard between Thailand residents and tourists, however, the actual implementation of medical checks at the airport is very *relaxed*.

From the information I have on my hand it seems the biggest challenge for you is not getting on a plane where there is someone infected with SARS on it or previously on it. Assuming this does not occur then it should business as usual.

Sounds like everything should be okay and don't forget to post an update on Friday night or Saturday on the actual experience.

Sanukboot.

Archived