Wanted: Update on SARs Screening at Don Muang

vic2244

Says carew66:

Wearing a face mask at all times? Err...and how, pray, is that going to be enforced

I can see it now. The big police raid at NEP. Hundreds of farangs arrested for "showing" (no face mask). ::

The crux of the biscuit as Jasmine querried, is if it applies to thru transit folks at effected countries. No one knows for sure yet, at least have not spoken up yet. I too will be transiting thru Taiwan on Eva in a few weeks. If I must wear a mask, how will I:

1. Show all the BGs that I am a most handsom man? ::

2. Eat som tam? :p

3. Eat , well, you know :o

4. Brush my teeth after #3? ::

5.Drink beer chang? :drunk:

6. Sniff kiss GF? :angel:

7. Pick my nose in traffic? ::

While typing this, I just got a call from Eva (ahh a nice Asian voice to lighten my day). My return flight from BKK to LAX is canceled. Now I must stay another day. :grinyes:

And more bonus points to Eva for calling me at work. :bow:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This really sucks as I am coming to LOS via Hong Kong. I can change the Hong Kong portion of my flight but guess what? I'll be coming from China.

I wonder if they will seriously be enforcing this. My dream vacation is quickly turning into a nightmare! :(

The latest news as of today:

Mask up, visitors told

WHO warns: Don't visit HK, Guangdong

Post reporters

The Public Health Ministry has asked police to take action against people breaching conditions imposed on travellers from five countries with a high incidence of severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars).

Sudarat Keyuraphan, the public health minister, threatened to detain suspected carriers in "leper colonies'' if they refused to cooperate.

The move followed the first known death from the disease of a person born in Thailand. Hiang Siang sae Lim, 78, who has Hong Kong citizenship, died at the Prince of Songkhla hospital on Tuesday night after returning from a visit to Hong Kong last week.

The World Health Organisation yesterday issued an unprecedented warning against travel to Hong Kong and neighbouring Guangdong province in southern China because of the Sars outbreak.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, said the impact of the disease on the Thai economy was more severe than that of the US-led war on Iraq.

The Public Health Ministry has added clauses to an announcement taking effect on Tuesday which imposes restrictions on travellers from China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and Vietnam.

The clauses say all Thai citizens and foreign expatriates returning from the five countries should stay at home for 14 days. Foreign visitors from these areas, including businessmen and tourists, should wear masks during their first two weeks in Thailand.

``All people travelling from the five countries have the responsibility to obey the law,'' Mrs Sudarat said.

Violators are liable to a fine of up to 10,000 baht and a prison term of up to six months.

Inbound tourist agencies must provide masks for their clients. Visitors who ignore the rules would be placed under quarantine at one of the six former leprosy hospice centres, or would be sent back to their home countries.

Public and private organisations, including schools and hotels, were responsible for making sure travellers having recently visited Sars-affected countries respect the law, the minister said.

People with queries can contact the ministry at 0-2590-3194, 0-2590-3192 and 0-2590-3167 or read its website at www.moph.go.th.

The announcement, issued under the Dangerous Diseases Control Act, will be revoked only after proof that the situation in the five countries is under control.

Deputy Transport Minister Pichet Sathirachawal said Thai Airways International aircraft which travelled on the Bangkok-Hong Kong route from yesterday would not be allowed to stay overnight in Hong Kong.

Screening measures at Don Muang airport were being tightened, with a team of 40 doctors and nurses carrying out health checks of all foreigners suspected of carrying the infection.

Thai people suspected of being infected would be quarantined, while those with symptoms of the illness would be placed under medical supervision, said deputy public health permanent secretary Thawat Suntharachan.

All suspected cases would be sent to hospital for a screening test, while cases of probable infection would have to undergo confirmation tests, for which the serum would be sent to the US Communicable Diseases Control Centre in Atlanta.

Mrs Sudarat also urged shops and restaurants popular with tourists from the Sars-affected countries to supply staff with masks and gloves.

If it doesn't it should. Why are potentially infected people allowed to wonder about and airport terminal? My wife was telling me that EVA staff last night saw somebody coughing and did nothing about it. They had just returned from Hanoi.

I'm sorry if it's an inconvienience for some but this stuff has got to be taken seriously.

There is no denying the seriousness of this. Trying to find a shread of levity, take note:

"The government has decided, correctly, to err on the side of caution. Health officials yesterday announced that inbound passengers showing symptoms of Sars would be turned back. "

What ariline would agree to carry a "suspect" and woult those who wouldn't mind being on the flight with him please step forward for a dope-slap.;)

RickF. :

With you that for sure but i think will not be quick..untill they figure it out and get a vacine or whatever we will need.

I am due to go to Bkk in less than 3 weeks ,dont know what to do now.

Wife says not to go so will keep reading and keep up to date and make up my mind next week i guess.

Good luck to us all that have travle planes over the next month :dunno:

I wouldn't hold your breath for a vaccine, as we won't see it in our lifetimes. This is a viral disease -- and modern medicine has never been able to come up with an effective vaccination against anything similar. Best to hope for is effective treatment, which now seems to be available as the large majority of people who have come down with SARS have recovered.

Archived