Harddisk problem

khunsanuk

Hi,

I just added another harddisk to my machine, but windows can not see it. When starting up the computer recognizes the harddisk, but as I said windows does not.

The harddisk in question contains a Linux environment and is formatted accordingly. I assume that this is the reason why windows can't see it.

I would like to reformat the drive and use it under windows.

Any suggestions?

Sanuk!

If your BIOS has a disk utility you should be able to format it with that. Partition Magic should work and I am sure that there are plenty of disk utilities for windows. If you need to save any data on the disk there are windows utilities that will let you mount linux partitions (at least ext2).

Question is why aren't you running Linux and not dumping Win:sleeping: ?

Which Windows operating system do you use?

If Win2K or Winxp, make sure you use Disk manager under administrative tools/computer managment for disk admin (not Windows explorer).

If the disk is set up correctly, it should see the disks there and enable you to delete the linux partitions and reformat them.

You could also boot from a Windows98 startup diskett and use FDISK to delete the linux partitions. But you won't be able to create NTFS partitions with that tool. Might be useful to try it if Disk manager fails though.

In general I would recommend Powerquest Partition Magic for stuff as changing parttion sizes, merging them, converting to another file system etc. A very useful tool.

Cheers!

Hi,

Thanks guys, formatting now.

I agree with the Partition Magic remark, but I do not have that here. Was not aware of the Computer Management program. Never noticed it before.

As for why I don't use Linux, mainly because of 2 reasons:

- it does not have as much software as I would like

- I have never really gotten to grips with it

Tried using it, but did not have the patience to learn it.

Sanuk!

Hi!

That's appears to be correct. Microshaft has removed fdisk, probably due to the fact that Windoze2000 and later don't contain dos anymore, they just emulate it.

Partition magic is a very competent program. Personally I have Linux on most computers I work with so I can always use it's fdisk or diskdruid if it's available.

regards

ALHOLK

Fdisk has never been a part of Windows NT-based OSes. NT had Disk Manager (windisk.exe at first, later morphed into the thing you now find in Computer Management).

Fdisk is a DOS tool. It exists under Windows 95/98/Me because those are still DOS at their core.

Also, there's no particular issue such that you have to worry about "creating an NTFS partition" under Win9x. Any partition you create under Win9x can be formatted or reformatted to NTFS under Windows 2000. The only issue is that Win9x prior to Win95 OSR2 did not have so-called "large-disk support" -- partitions were limited to 2GB and disks to approximately 8GB.

Archived