Samui Bungalow Help

qxguy

Greetings,

After time in BKK and CM, looking to relax in comfort in a beach front bungalow in Chaweng Beach. Will be my first time in Samui.

5000B max per night in May. May bring a lady or look for company there. Obviously looking for something nice, friendly and close to action.

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

qxguy

qxguy@hotmail.com

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chaweng Regent and Chaweng Buri would be my recommendation. both are upscale and have beach access with own chairs. nice bungalows. also within walking distance to the action. first you should get for around 4000 baht, second for around 3000 as may is not high season. i have been myself in both.

also nice and upscale, but a bit more fare away from the action are:

Central Samui Beach Resort

Poppies

Amari Palm Reef

Imperial Samui

Nice as they might be neither of those mentioned have beachfront accommodation. Though, in fact, The Regent does have maybe one or two, though they would be priced well in excess of 5k. I wouldn't bother. The beachfront is littered with deckchairs, so you'll have little personal space.

For medium priced beachfront accommodation, take a look at OP Bungalows Nos. 101, 501, 601 or 701 around 2k or Kings Garden, ask about the two beachfront places. Around 2.5 - 3k.

The Island(NOT to be confused with Samui Island Resort), again around 2 - 2.5k.

Most of the upscale resorts DON'T have beachfront bungalows.

All those I have mentioned have bungalows ON the beach.

Only the Island has a TV and telephone.

O.P. Bungalow

Chaweng Beach Road, Chaweng North

111, Moo 2, Tambon Bo Phut

84320 Koh Samui, Suratthani, Thailand

Tel: +66 7742 2424, +66 7723 0913-4

Fax: +66 7742 2425

King's Garden Bungalow

Chaweng Beach Road, Chaweng Center

12, Moo 2, Tambon Bo Phut

84320 Koh Samui, Suratthani, Thailand

Tel: +66 7742 2304, +66 7723 0430

Fax: +66 7742 2304

The Island; Tel : +66 7723 0751-5 Fax; +66 7723 0942

http://www.islandsamui.com/island_en.html

Don't accept anything other than the accommodation closest to the beach.

It will be superior to what is illustrated on the website.

If you prefer shallower water and a wider beach; The Island or OP.

If you like a good exchange of water with a still spacious sloping beach, then Kings Garden.

My all round recommendation would be The Island.

Any more questions?

i agree with you: the Island is a mid price resort with nice sea view bungalows for a modest 2000 baht. however while you pay the 2000 baht for your reserved room, backpackers walk into the same resort and get a simple room with fan for 500 baht.

the resort has a nice seafront restaurant with a few pak tai (laeng phan plue?) dek serv cuties and good seafood. the downside is that they don't offer any suitable beach chairs.

it's very close to the chaweng regent, so also close to the action.

That's fine, the backpackers can fill up the 500 baht bungalows at the back. If they walked in they would still have to pay the same 2000 baht for the beachfront bungalows as everyone else would.

BTW, I think there are those white plastic 'sun bakers' supplied. If those prove inadequate you could always use those from the Sunlight next door. Which is always good for a late night pick, when the bar on the main strip have closed.

You see, I have thought of everything. ;)

If you do decide to book, make sure you are reserved at least, one of the the three bungalows closest to the beach. The have some nice natural furniture(made with varnished branches and tree trunks) with which to sit on and look out to sea.

I actually prefer OP Bungalows, especially as the owners are friends. But, I'm looking at the possible needs of the Original Poster. Plus he'll have the use of the pool at Villa Flora, which I've never seen crowded.

Though the inside of the Regent's room may be nice, the sardine-like crampedness of the deckchairs squashed together and the puny depth of beach they have, makes it a bit of a joke.

It used to amuse me, when, as a backpacker, I would pay a few pounds a night for my accommodation, grab a towel and head for any spot on the beach that took my fancy. Whereas, the 'poor saps' at the Regent, who had coughed up 100 pounds, felt compelled to utilised the sun loungers supplied to them, therefore cramming themselves like sardines into a puny space. It seems ironic that they were paying more and getting so much less.

On top of that, they had no beach view from their accommodation.

It's this sort of thing that has ruined Samui for me. I feel it's gone distinctly downmarket, even though it is more expensive.

BTW, if they sun loungers supplied at the Island prove inadequate, he could always jump onto the ones supplied by the Sunlight. Which incidentally, is the place for a late night pick up, once the bars have closed.

You see, I have thought of everything. ;)

Hi qxguy,

if you're looking for the comfort, book Central Beach Resort or Poppies or Amari, as Samak already mentioned.

Although these places don't necessarily have the beach bungalows you're looking for, they have all the conveniences, nice swimming pool etc.

Central Beach Resort is probably the best located, Poppies and Amari a bit to the side but still all in walking or motorbike distance.

If you book these places through a travel agent or online you may get better deals than walk ups.

Pending on what rate of comfort you're looking for, other suggestions by Valentinoxx may be valid for you as well.

Of the 'upscale resorts' the Chaweng Regent is the best located. The others not being that close to the main entertainment centre.

I must take issue with these 5* resorts. What conveniences do you need and what does a 6000 baht hotel room offer over a 2000 baht beachfront bungalow??

You're supposed to be on a paradise isle. The point is to enjoy the island, not your hotel room.

I'd rate having an unadulterated view of the beach and waking up to the sound of the sea over staying in a 'upscale' hotel which removes you from the island experience.

You can stay in a 5* hotel room anywhere, but how often can you step off your verandah and on to the sand of the beach?

A pool? What the point, if you're living on a beach?

This is another of my peeves with the island. Overkill.

Thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions.

After trekking around Chiang Mai for four days I am looking for some comfort and a place to relax within walking distant of the town at Chaweng.

samak: Chawent Regent looks very nice. I will have to see where to get the best price quote. I read elsewhere that Chaweng Buri was getting a little worn down. Any additional comments regarding the comfort level of the rooms you stayed in?

valentioxxx: Always enjoy your posts. Great info on all your suggestions. I never found a site with photos on OP Bungalows.

asiahand: Thanks for the suggestion of Long Island. It looks pretty nice if I should change my mind and try Lamai. How was the food and nightlife in that area?

limbo: Central Beach Resort or Poppies might work out. I will price them.

Without going in too much of a different direction........any suggestions for Chiang Mai. Center of town, nice and guest friendly?

Thanks again to everyone for their time and efforts.

qxguy

Archived