Samui Bungalow Help

qxguy

Valentino,

the reason that these 5* hotels are doing fine is that many people enjoy them a lot.

As in your case, not everybody enjoys the backpacker routine or frame of mind (possibly anymore). Don't get me wrong, been there and done it myself.

However, Samui is changing, definately Chaweng, so I guess you did the right thing and don't go to Samui anymore.

Despite the fact that you personally don't like it there anymore, what's the reason you keep slagging it off.

Things change, all the time, what despises you might attract others.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long Island food was open air restaurant. European and Thai dishes but I thought the mashed potatoe I had with sausages tasted like sxxt.

My bungalow was right on the beach edge and it was truly paradise for the time I was there.

The only down side was you needed a bike or bahtbus to get you to either Lamai proper or Chawang.

Remember that is is MY opinion. Backpacker mentality? I don't think any of my recommendations are popular with backpackers.

They would heading for Charlie's Huts and the like.

For me, Chaweng and Lamai are now not much different from the worst of Majorca and the like. Especially in peak season. That for me is a change for the worst.

There are now well defined divisions between the people travelling to the island. Whereas before you'd meet a multitude of people and make friends. This is now much less likely.

People bring their stressful city personalities directly to Samui now, within 15hrs of leaving their cities.

The ridiculous increases in the prices of the land has created extra stresses on the people that live and work there, changing their attitudes.

If I want a souless experience, I could stay in my own city.

I prefer to find places more in harmony with nature, including the people.

Definitely, away from the main beach areas, you can still find this. But we are not talking about that, are we?

Nevertheless, I made choices that still have some contact with the nature of Samui, though with some mod cons.

You can still use the facilities of the 5* places as some of my friends did.

i do not think, that the chaweng buri is worn down. i stayed there last time around 1.5 years ago and the rooms were nice.

regarding comfort level (size, quality of beds, towels etc., aircondition, bathroom etc.) i would say chaweng regent is the best, than chaweng buri and third the island beachfront bungalow (all three are bungalow style). valentinoxx has elaborated out the disadvantages of the more expensive resorts (yes, chaweng regent and chweng bur resort can be very packed during high season, but not during may); it's now up to you to choose...

Not forgetting their complete lack of beachfront property...

The 'packed like sardines' comment is referring to the deck chairs being lined up in rows.

All of this is totally academic. since, as it isn't peak season in May, he will be able to walk in and, most likely, get a room or bungalow.

The criteria here was beachfront aligned with comfort.

In order to secure the beachfront property, it may be wise to book ahead.

Any of the other options, 4*, 5* or otherwise, will be available walk in or at the special internet rates on their websites.(Bookable at the plethora of internet cafes on the beach road)

Book your first couple of nights at a beachfront property such as I've mentioned and then take a walk down the beach to see what you fancy.

I have stayed at the Regent before, with a friend. Even if someone gave me the room for free I'd be peeved that I had no seaview.

Deciding your accommodation on price, I think, is the wrong approach. Go there and see the lie of the land. Give Limbo a shout when your there, he may allow you to buy him a drink. ;)

There is nothing that the 4 or 5* hotels offer that can't be had within 100 metres of where you stand, anywhere on Chaweng Beach, at a fraction of the price. (Unless you play tennis :))

BTW Limbo, do you know they people who run the SeaQuest restaurant and the gym and massage spa above in Chaweng? Good people.

Bophut earlier, also had more of a French influence, and for me retained a much nicer ambience than Chaweng and Lamai. I don't know if that has changed.

Says valentinoxxx:

BTW Limbo, do you know they people who run the SeaQuest restaurant and the gym and massage spa above in Chaweng? Good people.

Bophut earlier, also had more of a French influence, and for me retained a much nicer ambience than Chaweng and Lamai. I don't know if that has changed.

Dear valentinoxxx,

you'ld fall off your chair if you saw how Bophud has shaped up. It has a lot of expensive restaurants now and a some bars as well as chique internet cafe's and breakfast places.

I liked it a lot better a year or 2 ago.

Around Bophud it's still ok with good places to go, "downtown" Bophud is a bit pricy I think.

I think I was last there a year or two ago. Had a meal in the Italian restaurant at the end of the strip near the pier. Still then a tasteful mix of restaurants and shops.

Hi V,

guess since than a lot of new shops have been built, which in my opinion don't fit in well with old style wooden houses in Bophud.

Almost nobody knows it by it's original name of Bophud anymore, since at each entrance to bophud there's huge signs reading Fishermans Village, so that's what most tourists or newbies call it now.

Archived