Wednes. 16 April: BBC1 (UK) TV Programme.

carew66

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope she gets out of the scene and can make good and be good.

I have a mobile number and an email address for her, but I won't call. I don't want to jeopardise what she has.

If I'm not mistaken around 1998-1999 BBC America ran some doc along the line of Expats and I remember one of the storys was about some female staff at the British Embassy in Bangkok. Does anybody remember this one? I forget what it was called. On this show they features several couples I believe. I haven't had a whole lot of trouble at the embassy when I've approached them for visas for my wife but we exercise common sense and go dress respectably unlike a lot of women who show up there.

Carew

Thanks for reminding me about 'the Good Woman of Bangkok'...

Its a fascinating documentary filmed by a recently divorced 40-something aussie (Dennis O'Rourke) who falls in love with Aoi, the not so young woman of the title.

The film was inevitably trashed by right-thinking people as exploitative and voyeuristic (thats the reason i loved it !) , but it was also very honest and very moving - definately recommended viewing if you can find a tape.

Does anyone know where Aoi is now ???

- not still working the Grace Hotel I hope, and I trust she has ditched the window-pane goggles for some contacts

Tom

I really enjoyed that series.

One of the other stories was a 65-70yr old jeweller who was gay and had 20 odd year old boyfriend.

Wasnt the guy who married a ladyboy not a bar owner down Phuket or Samui way or was that another story ?

One of the best reasons for watching it was the music, it was a sort of dance mix of thai and uk bits mixed together. They did a repeat a few months later during the night just with images and music and called it Bangkok Beats.

I actually tried to find out if the music was available to buy but no one knew at C4.

Archived