Princess UbonRad in Samui

limbo

Today in Chaweng, walking up from the beach at Malibu Resort, I hit the beach road next to Swensens. There was police everywhere and loads of Thais looking into Swensens. As it happened Princess Ubonrad (yep, the one that married the US guy) was having icecream inside.

So off we went 2 others and me to have an icecream as well. There was nobody else in the shop but the Princess and about 8 or 9 Royal Staff. She's on a holiday and was wearing holiday cloth, with a pair of big dark sunglasses.

This is the second encounter I've had with a Princess, some 8 years ago I was snorkeling on Koh Samet, where the island is the smallest, and upon exiting the water there was a police bloke with a big machine gun standing next to the water. Turned out that Princess Sirintorn was on a boat trip on the small beach I was living.

Just thought I let you know.

in the area where i live is a restaurant of one of a princess' friend, that she regularly visits and the hairsaloon of one of the prince's daughters. it's very easy to guess, when the Royal Highnesses are in the area...

and once i was in the same plane as a princess; the whole first class cabin was reserved for her and her staff. and it was not TG, despite TG offered the same route!!

As it happened Princess Ubonrad (yep, the one that married the US guy) was having icecream inside.

She was on a TV show called Jack Hanna's Animal Adventures giving Hanna's daughter a tour of the Dusit Zoo. Seemed very down to earth.

I had thought that after she married the American she lost her royal title and now is referred to as Khunying.

H.R.H. the Crown Prince's minor wife lives in Orlando about 2 hours from my area and is seen frequently at the Wat there.

Hasn't she played in Thai TV shows also?

Not sure. I'll ask my wife.

I was very impressed with how normal and unaffected she was on this show. The British royals in the same situation always seem to be trying to impress more than necessary.

It must have been quite disconcerting when you surfaced to find a guy with a machine gun. The closest encounter I had while diving was the marine patrol on Phi Phi almost running a group of my divers over as we waited for our pick up. We had one captain who seemed to always be at the wrong place as we surfaced.

Not to highjack the thread, but another scare was at the temple of doom (sea snake cave) I told you about. The site is not a regular dive and nowhere near other dive sites. We surfaced and our longtail boat was long gone. I was starting to think we had a hell of a surface swim ahead of us when after about 20 minutes he finally showed up. Seems he was fishing and lost track of time.

Hi Brink,

my wife told me that she played in some TV shows in Thailand.

Yeah, that was a very strange experience, getting out of the water and this guy standing there with a machine gun. First I thought there was some kind of razzia, but with 7 or 8 bungalows??

It was funny afterwards tho.

Princess Ubonrat is one of my least favourite royals.

After snubbing her nose at the country and family to marry her foreign husband for 20 odd years she gets a divorce and comes back home minus the HRH rank (she's still a princess BTW she was never in the running for the crown -wrong gender). Now she's like this ubersocialite releasing CDs, staging plays, and appearing as the lead in a (really long running) TV sequel to Suriyothai. All pretty slick ways of gaining popularity. Somehow I don't think it will work. Princess Di she is not.

Says markle:

Princess Ubonrat is one of my least favourite royals.

After snubbing her nose at the country and family to marry her foreign husband for 20 odd years she gets a divorce and comes back home minus the HRH rank (she's still a princess BTW she was never in the running for the crown -wrong gender). Now she's like this ubersocialite releasing CDs, staging plays, and appearing as the lead in a (really long running) TV sequel to Suriyothai. All pretty slick ways of gaining popularity. Somehow I don't think it will work. Princess Di she is not.

DITTO. This is the way I feel as well. She lost her title as PRINCESS when she got married but our society just want to give her the respect. (Whether she deserves it or not is another issue.)

Re: her the running for the crown -wrong gender. It's not true. Princess Sirinthorn can be crowned as our Queen. The King has given her the right and new title (Somdej Prathep Pa rat racha suda sa yam bo room ma raj cha ku ma ree.) It is our first ever title to give to a princess to enable her to be the ruling Queen.

Archived