Can you Guys Cook?

Torneyboy

Says limbo:

Hi TB,

love to cook. Before moving to LOS, when I was I had to cook everyday and mainly cooked Thai food.

Living in LOS now I mainly cook some mean pasta's, my wife loves them.

Sometimes some basic stuff, meat, potato, veggies.

I'm not a chef but I know my around in a kitchen and as soon as there's a recipe, I think I can make it work.

Loved to have people over and cook for them, guess I'm too lazy now.

Most of the time we eat outside or order........

It's a lot more convenient now to cook in Samui, since Lotus opened a few months back.

My wife enjoys a good pasta Old hippie sent me some great ideas and will try this weekend.

My wife does most of the cooking but i have a few good dishes that i cook to give her a break.

We also eat out a lot she likes to see the city as she has not seen much as she before we met reluctant to go out as one person.

Her sisters had boyfriends and felt a bit out if went with them sometimes.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can prepare pretty much any dish. Baking is my biggest weakness as I don't have the patience for it and you can't IMO manipulate the recipes too much. Basically there is no salvage value in baked foods they are either a success or complete failures. My specialties are Italian in nature having grown up with a strong Italian influence.

I hate to cook and actually refuse to do so for various non-sensical irrational psychological reasons based off of childhood. I am guilty of at least 2x a year going into the kitchen at around 11pm and cooking until 8am whatever comfort dishes that I hadn't had in ages; of course everything is damn near made from scratch hence the long period of cooking. The problem when I do this is that I can never make a dish for one and usually make it for 10 so I have days of leftovers that enter my freezer and when I am finished I never want to see those dishes for at least another year.

Sorry for the confessional type post. I am a tormented soul when it comes to cooking. ::

Guest lazyphil

I'm of the old school, I'm married so I very seldom cook mainly because I'm too lazy(phil!) and I cant, I once prepared an English fry-up breakfast...funny she never asked me to cook for again :: :dunno: ::

• 2 months later...

I can vouch for OH's cooking skills. the guy cooks a mean larb, and a few other niceties. Come to think of it, it's been a while since i have had the honor of tasting his cooking, and we have a lot to catch up, as far as this year's LOS memories. You know who is going to get my next "i am hungry!" call ;)......

Says pattaya127:

I can vouch for OH's cooking skills. the guy cooks a mean larb, and a few other niceties. Come to think of it, it's been a while since i have had the honor of tasting his cooking, and we have a lot to catch up, as far as this year's LOS memories. You know who is going to get my next "i am hungry!" call
;)

I can to....although not in person.

Via PM has sent me so much info will take years to try them all.

And all reasonably easy and quick and best of all tasty.

keep him in wraps as may need him again soon ::

Cooking is one of my great passions, right up there with golf and women. I can cook Italian particularly well and usually cook on weekends for friends. For some reason, I get a lot of satisfaction cooking falang food when I'm in Asia. I guess it's being surrounded by all the Asian food and having to improvise sometimes to pull off a good meal.

My wife is an excellent Thai cook and she's taught me a lot about preparing Thai dishes. There are a lot of little secrets the Thais use that probably wouldn't appear in any cookbook.

When we stay in our house in Chiang Mai, a few of our neighbors always bring us food in the evenings. They love it when I cook my spagetti and bolonese so I always make a huge batch. I really get a great feeling when I can return the favor and see they really enjoy my food.

As far as cooking for other people, it's one of the best gifts one person can give to another. When I know someone has worked hard all day to prepare a nice meal, I'm hugely appreciative. I also love to cook for my wife's friends and family, they can't believe a man would actually prepare a meal when there's a woman around to do it.

Finally, I will say that I make the most wicked Thanksgiving meals around. No one is awake after one of my feasts. One of these days, I'd like to organize a Thanksgiving dinner in Bangkok but I don't know how I'd find an oven big enough for a 28 pound turkey.

One of these days, I'd like to organize a Thanksgiving dinner in Bangkok but I don't know how I'd find an oven big enough for a 28 pound turkey.

No problem in any commercial kitchen. Or debone the whole bird, stuff it and roll it. Lots of ways. :grinyes:

BTW TB, yes, I can cook. And there are a couple of other 'Pros' on the board as well.

Now if one you fine fellows will reach deep in his sock and buy Woodstock, I;d gladly operate it and then we would have a home bar for all the members and the best Farang food in Bkk. :applause:

Guest Chefs welcomed. :beer:

My wife likes my spag boll as well...allthough i use chicken mince instead of beef.

You are correct about the little secrets in Thai cooking,

A dash of this pinch of this etc no way to follow her.

Anyway i eat and enjoy.

have also cooked roast dinners (the Thais love it ) roast chicken/pork and lamb...my gravy is NBR1...imho ::

Says LaoHuLi:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

One of these days, I'd like to organize a Thanksgiving dinner in Bangkok but I don't know how I'd find an oven big enough for a 28 pound turkey.

No problem in any commercial kitchen. Or debone the whole bird, stuff it and roll it. Lots of ways. :grinyes:

BTW TB, yes, I can cook. And there are a couple of other 'Pros' on the board as well.

Now if one you fine fellows will reach deep in his sock and buy Woodstock, I;d gladly operate it and then we would have a home bar for all the members and the best Farang food in Bkk. :applause:

Guest Chefs welcomed. :beer:

Now if one you fine fellows will reach deep in his sock and buy Woodstock, I;d gladly operate it and then we would have a home bar for all the members and the best Farang food in Bkk.

Guest Chefs welcomed.

Great idea but what do we do in the second week......after we close :o

Archived