Visa Extension

Chuckles

I've got a pretty simple question, and one that I should really know:

I came on a non-imm O multy-entry 6 month visa, which expires in May. My return ticket to UK is in July. I'd like to get an extension to cover this period so I can get back to UK and apply for the B visa. Do I need to exit Thailand to renew, or just go to the immigration office here in Bangkok? Anyone know the approximate cost?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I came on a non-imm O multy-entry 6 month visa
Didn't know there was such a visa. What is valid up until May? Is it the visa or your current 90 day stay? If the visa is indeed multi entry and valid until May you could just make a border run anytime and get another 90 days entry which would put you into July. Would only cost you the trip.

Let me put it this way: You are fine.

The Visa just allows you to enter the country. It doesn't have to be valid to exit.

What has to be valid is that you exit the country before the stamp in your passport.

Okay, so what happens: Just before your visa expires, do a border run. When you come back in, you will get a stamp for 90-days. I've gotten a 90-day stamp on the day my visa expired (although I don't recommend you do this, give yourself atleast a day leeway). This will cover you till you have to leave in July.

No sweat :)

<<burp>>

Hi Chuckles,

I believe if you follow my first advice you won't have to leave the country until you depart after 103 days. Get a 60 days tourist visa, do a 30 days extension, then a 14 days extension. Should be possible. If this is the easiest way depends on where you are planing to stay in Thailand, if Bangkok, Pattaya or another place where an immigration office is present, then it should not be a problem. if not then a short trip outside the country and back gives you an extra 30 days.

Best regards,

Danish30

I just spoke to the Thai Consulate in Vancouver, and they told me that I can get a double Visa, then get the first on extended for 30 days, then I would have to leave Thailand to activate the second Visa, also they told me that you can only have one extension per Visa, so in the end I would have to do a Visa run.

Chcukles

Hi Lopburi, thanks for the info. It's a plain 6 month tourist visa which itself is valid until May 8th, although I've just noticed the stamp from returning to Bangkok from a short holiday in the Philippines last month - I guess the visa had been extended 60 days to May 28th now. Are there still no issues with doing a border-run and getting a second extension into July, as you said?

Ok, your original question didn't contain enough info for an accurate answer.

You said multi entry. How many entries is that? If it's two, you will be able to get two in-country extensions totalling 43 days from the 28th of May.

If it's three, in addition to that you have a potential of an extra 103 days or so, on top of the 43 days.

It's a plain 6 month tourist visa
A plain tourist visa is single entry so I would guess you have a 2 entry (it will say good for ... journey). But you also say you just returned from the PI last month and have a 60 day entry so that would be the second entry? If so, and the visa is 2 entry, it is used and no further entries can be made using it. If it says "multiple" journeys then you can exit again and return prior to May 8th to receive another 60 day entry that could be extended 30 days, taking you to August.

Archived