Where to buy/build house in LOS ?

As a follow-up thread to the "BUYING A HOUSE" thread, let me say that I am exploring this concept also. I would be interested in hearing various opinions as to where the best place in the Bangkok vicinity (and also in other parts of LOS) is to buy or build a house. A chief concern is the rate of population growth and how this can affect an area. Thanks for any input.

Don't think anyone wants to give you their secrets.

If I was doing this now... What I would do is find out where the subway stops are. Walk around some of the small sois that are within a 15 minute walk and see if there are any forasle notifications. Not scheduled to open till late next year. If you build, then it will be done sometime when the subway opens.

As for population changes, I think you'd want that. If it becomes to crowded, you can flip your site, or rent it out.

<<burp>>

Pete,

"A chief concern is the rate of population growth and how this can affect an area. "

What is the concern you have? Are you looking for peace and quiet that will stay that way? Or are you looking for capital appreciation on your investement?

Regards, JEff

To partly expalin what I mean by avoiding excessive, population growth, I'll use the urban sprawl analogy

of the Phoenix, AZ area ... you bulid a house on the outskirts, and within a certain period of years, the desirability of your selected locale diminishes as newer developments are erected. ? value ... sure, I'd want to be in a location where the investment is fairly secure.

Pete- I think the question was: do you want to build/buy in an area that will have much development in the near future, thus increasing in value quickly, or in an area that will not have much development, thus staying peaceful for longer (but not appreciating as fast).

By opening this thread, I was curious as to the opinions of others. As far as myself, I would love to be in a nice, peaceful area ... but this may not be practical. I want to be near good schools for my son. Also, my cardiologist has reminded me that I must be in close proximity to a major hospital ... he's at Bangkok General, which is pretty much within walking distance

from where we are at now. For me the tranquility will, in all likelyhood, have to be maintained from within ... meditation, etc. There is a new branch of BKK General on Sukhumvit in Pattaya ... but I do not think the facilities are suitable for my potential needs. I may have to remain within Bangkok. Some can have their cake and eat it too ... I'm not that fortunate.

Best area is IMO Ekamai Soi 10,12, 14, 16 or Sukhumvit 65. Fully detached houses can be found as well as town houses (not many, though) BUT YOU GOT TO SEEK THEM OUT. close to BTS Ekamai or Prakhanong (peace and quiet inside the sois + very little or no traffic), schools, sukhumvit hospital, shopping, sport clubs etc etc The trick is to take the time to walk around the different sois and ask...

Towhouses = 2 Million

Houses 3 Million and up

Good luck

Archived