Angkok Wat

I really want to visit Angkor Wat and explore/photograph this wonder of SE Asia. I was thinking of June if I go to PP to obtain a new visa (that is, if the conulate/embassy is open by then). But isn't June in the middle of the rainy season ? Some would say that it is best to go in the 'cool' season. But, wouldn't the area be crawling with tourists in the high season?

When would be the best time to go? ... pretty hard to do photography in the rain! Any thoughts/experience regarding this ?

Guest lazyphil

I went to Angkor Wat in January (not this January gone), so the high season?..anyhow it wasn't that busy and it rained a fair bit ::, still that gave the place even more atmoshere, not that it needs it, totally blew my mind it did. Be sure to see the 'Jungle Temple', nothing quite like it as far as I know?

I went to Angkor wat this last Jan. It was fantastic. I think it would be terrible to go to SEA and not see it. With that said probably 2 days 3 at the max would do. I took the bus from Poipet to Siem Riep. Now there is an adventure. It took over 6 hours to go about 140km. The road is not really a road. But with that said I am really glad I did it that way at least once in my life. Siem riep is small but sort of fun in an outpost sort of way. There are lots of cheap places to stay that are actualy very nice. Other things are a bit more expensive there. Food is about the same but not as high a quality as LOS. Water is actualy very expensive. I supose because of tourist gouging. I hired a cycle driver-guide for 3 days for about 1000 baht. I also rented a stepthrough for about 250 baht, but you can rent 250 bajas for about 500. There is a Martini's Disco there as well. Altough I didn't partake there seemed to be lots of cuties available. All in all going to Cambodia was a grand adventure and I'll definatly put it on my schedule for the next trip.

Guest lazyphil

I'll second that, that bus trip (I went by pickup!) is mental!!!...I went down river to PP from Siem Reap and via Koh Kong back into los on a ferry. In fact I travelled non stop from PP to Phuket overland in almost exactly 36 hours, I was totally exhausted!

I went in October. Surprisingly few tourists, considering the scale of the attraction. One rainy day, which just made it better, clambering through the deserted ruins with the jungle all around. Otherwise it was searingly hot.

If I went again, I'd go by plane, avoiding the 4 hour boat trip from PP. (It's bumpy, gets monotonous after a while and only starts at dawn.)

I was there last year and yes, it rained, but this was only for 1-2 hours and it helped to cool things down. Walking round a lot of temples in the searing heat of the day can be exhausting. Certainly there were other people there, including many coach parties (often from Japan) - the best way to avoid these is to go early - before 9 am, or during lunchtime when it is a lot quieter.

Ankor Wat can get crowded after 4pm as tickets can be bought then for the next day, but can be used that day also and many tourists rush for a preview of the main temple.

If you want good photographs, just be patient, wait for the crowd to move on and pick your time. A wait, in the shade, with a bottle of water, will also make you feel better and give you an opportunity to experience the atmosphere.

I would recommend a minimum of 2 days for the main temples and an extra day to see the outlying ones. Get to Ankor Wat as early as possible, have a quick look there, off to the Bayon or Ta Phrom before the crowds get there, then back to Angkor Wat while everyone is at lunch. If possible, take a quick look at Ankor Wat in the evening - I was surprised how the colours changed during the day with different positions of the sun.

Enjoy yourself! ::

Archived