BG's gains and risks taking a farang upcountry?

maxal

Taking a farang back home can be a fairly big step for a girl, at least the first one. Whie some of the hardened ones will traipse home with any old stray, mostly its a fairly serious step. In the future she will at least be asked about you by the family, so a "break up" would have some consequences.

What to take. A sense of humour and *a lot* of tolerence. There will be loads of things going on around you that you do not understand, and as said, some of the older ones (parents generation) will not be able to speak Thai. However communication is more than speaking, and a smile and a nod, even while papa is rabbiting on to you in Lao or Khymen goes *a long* way.

As also said, you will learn a new side to your girl. Does she run interference for you (this is quite a big thing), keeping the village "pests" away, does she keep an eye on you (are you comfortable, is there ice in your glass) etc.

Everything you do *will* be noted, dissected and discussed. What you do will reflect upon her (or at lest her judgement). Do you make a fuss over every small thing, get upset (casue there will be things that you don't like). However, having said that, don't be too self conciously uptight. Let them see you for who you are, and what you are.

In my (LOL, OK, the girlfriends) village, I am known pretty much as "he who gets drunk and falls asleep everywhere" (actually I do that in BK as well), so the village sport for her family (and this can be VERY extended) is to come and drink with me till I pass out. Good fun really, and saves a lot of

You *will* be expected to do some "provisioning", whether a couple of hundred to go to the market for food, 10 baht for the kids to go and buy some candy etc. Booze can add up over a while, but Chang/Sang Thip or "lao cow" seem to keep most people happy.

Lastly, given that it is likely to be fairly "primitive" and your first trip up there, 3 to 4 nights is probably reasonable time.

-j-

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says josh_ingu:

In my (LOL, OK, the girlfriends) village, I am known pretty much as "he who gets drunk and falls asleep everywhere" (actually I do that in BK as well), so the village sport for her family (and this can be VERY extended) is to come and drink with me till I pass out. Good fun really, and saves a lot of ... ... ...

...Er? Eh? A lot of what? You pass out or fall asleep there, Josh? :drunk::sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

jack ::

p. s. Interesting post. :)

Sorry about my late answer, but I have a lot of work to do and I dont want to disapoint my customers.

1. Its a fantastic book, which gives you a good view inside the japanese way of thinking

2. you get a lot of paper, you might have use for when mother nature calls you. Most houses in the middle of nowhere in Isaan dont have something you call a WC.

I have been in a village close to the Cambodian border for several times in the last few years. It has been mentioned here before, many older people do not speak Thai and the common language in the Moos is Cambodian.

It can be boring staying there for too many days, but it gives you a deep look inside a society, which differs much from my (european) way of living.

My gf is living there, doing some business and having an income she and her family can live of. She has never asked me for money, but it is a pleasure for me to pay the 1.-2.000 Bath for a big party. I usually stay in her house, but never share a room with her. :rolleyes:

No problem, because after three days we go to one of the islands or beaches for having a good time ::

Have a good time, keep your eyes and mind open

[color:"red"] We used to crap in plastic bags when the cess pit was full and see how far we could throw them.

[/color] Well that must have really impressed the locals with our sophisticated falang culture! Up to your post I was thinking of taking a football with me! ::

I went to the gf's village twice.

Not much to add to what's said here, stay open minded, it's an other world out there, not many connections with western life.

Try to rent a motorbike (some one will be happy in the village to get some money - 150 baht/day?) and visit the surrounding scenery excellent against boredom.

Although I did not mind, listening to peoples talk you don't understand a word is not an exciting pass time.

Don't fall in the trap to pay everything everyone living in the village wants...

I stocked the familly with essential food stuff, but when the eating party grew bigg and the gf asked if I wanted to drink a beer (meaning buying beer for all of them) I replied: yes, coke. That cooled them down...

Says josh_ingu:

In the future she will at least be asked about you by the family, so a "break up" would have some consequences.

Hey now... This is what I'm also talking about... Regardless of how it turns out with her (I hope for the best), what are some of the "consequences" that are possible if I find myself wanting to travel around the same village to see the Khmer temple ruins in the future? I do plan on being in that general vicinity again to visit. Really guys, without thinking about it too much, what does a "break up" mean for the GF, her family, and me?

Then again, it all might change when she gets around her family right?

-----------------------------------

you will tell us.

I remember last year, my Gf and I went to meet her sister in Samut Sakon. She had not seen her in 8 years. That person came to pick us up with her husband, and we had to cross the street to meet her. The way it looked, they might have well have not seen each other for...20 minutes. No running to, touching, embracing, tears, joy, shrieks, laughs, Nada.... just Gf turning around and telling me to put our bags in the P.U. trunk. I could not help thinking what would have hapenned if I was meeting my sister after 8 years apart. TIT.....

what does a "break up" mean for the GF, her family, and me?

---------------------------------------

not much. If she is the main bread-earner in the family, they can't scold her too much for bringing "dishonor" to the family. but she may not bring someone again before a very long time. Definitely a loss of face, if no "dishonor", IMO, if only because all this face thing has to do with what the village will say.....

>...Er? Eh? A lot of what? You pass out or fall asleep there, Josh?

Aye. Apparently so. Was going to say a lot of hassle over sleeping arrangements and debates over whether we should do *it* or not. Falling unconcious saves all that.

-j-

Archived