A Step Back In Time- Bars that haven't changed.

El_Tel

Offhand, I can count 3 PP bars that have not changed either location, style or interior decor. Superstar, Safari & Goldfinger. I haven't been to PP in a while so things may have changed.

15 years back, these were among the 3 premier bars in PP. Now they seem to be well in decline, maybe with the exception of Safari.

Sad.

Anyone know where to go to get a taste of the 'old' PP?

You didn't have all those stalls blocking the way, instead lots of Thai thugs on motorbikes trying knock farang over. Anyone recall the Gaslight bar - small bar on the left coming in from Silom almost at the end - but this was 20 years ago. I recall it as I took my first bargirl from there - 200 baht for an all-nighter every night for two weeks! Trying to think of a couple of other bars - Suziwong??? and ...

Not exactly Bars but old time places still there:

Madrid

Mitzus Kitchen

Old Bars I particularly miss (30+ years ago now! - hell, have I been here THAT long!!)

Derby King

Napoleon Lounge

Windsor Castle

Lucys' Tiger Den

(Last two not actually in Patpong, but on Silom, just about opposite)

> I can count 3 PP bars

If you are only talking 15 years ago :) then Kings Castle 1 would have been the best bar in the pong (now located where KC3 is). In some ways it still is the best IMHO (if you take out the music and mamasans!).

At the other end of the scale Rififi's should surely be added to your list of three. A dump then and a dump now ... but it still goes on.

Cheers

Archived