Thai View of Prostitution: Different Take on It

zanemay

A Looooong time ago I wrote something to the effect that prostitution in Thailand is not viewed as the big, bad immoral thing it is seen as in farangland. Of course a few responders got quite heated on the subject saying it is seen as just as bad or worse by Thai's and Buddhists. This may be true of some, but last night, for the second time, I had an experience that supports my point.

What happened in both cases was this about the same. The first time I thought it was rather reprehensible, last night it seemed as normal as anything.

Last night I was sitting along the beach in Pattaya and two women came along that I had never seen before. One older, one younger. We only talked for a second before the older one said something like, "She's my daughter, you want her?"

What made this perfectly acceptable is that it was obvious that they were both nice, modest ladies. Well dressed, well mannered, not flaunting anything. And they interacted with each other as if they had a good mother-daughter relationship. Same as my mom and my sister. The whole thing was just, "no problem."

When this happened on my last trip, it was not so good. The girl was 17 and much more passive while the mother was talking to me.

In both cases, I wasn't interested, but last night we did sit and have a good talk for quite awhile.

I would add to this point: I have a gf, Joop, who is 22 and is not a prostitute and has never gone with another man. However, it was no problem for her family and friends to welcome me and let me sleep with her in their house. She had gone with one Thai fellow, so she wasn't a virgin.

So...back to point: Among a lot of people in Thailand it's not that big a deal. I think part of it is because sex is not that big a deal. Something to be enjoyed or done as a duty or done for money, but no big deal one way or another.

Zane

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I contend you have a VERY shallow understanding of Thailand if you think this is normal. Prostitution is indeed regarded as a part of life but it is by no means an accepted occupation for any woman or "modest lady". You are taking exceptions and trying to make them the rule. Just ain't so. ::

On my very first trip to Thailand about six years ago.

I was staying at the Royal Orchid Sheraton with 25 travel agents.

I had some time to kill before the bus was to take us to inspect some 20 or so hotels that day.

Waking around some streets and enjoying the cooking smells and shop fronts.

On my way back walking up i think Silom Road i past a young girl sitting on the sidewalk drinking something i noticed she had a clean and nice dress on .

Got several steps past her when an old lady (60 or close to it)

walked next to me and offered this girl to me ""said 1500 she do everything for you etc"" i just snapped i said ""she is only 12 (loudly) are you her mother?

she just smiled said no i said no way and walked on to the hotel just thinking to myself what is happening here and to this sweet girl.

Later that night a group of us went to Patpong and many of the bars and shows and my eyes opend up somewhat.

But a big shock seeing this girl i still think about the incident from time to time,selling sibblings bodies for cash.

After many visits since i think i have seen it all.

I still think prostitution is a big deal when kids are caught up in it via grand parent or guardians etc.

Those old enough to make thier own decissions i guess is a different story. :dunno:

Says zanemay:

I would add to this point: I have a gf, Joop, who is 22 and is not a prostitute and has never gone with another man..... She had gone with one Thai fellow, so she wasn't a virgin.

Zane

Aren't you contradiction yourself here??? ::

Pattaya is an excellent place to get a handle on the Thai's view of prostitution. Furthur research on your thesis can be done at NEP, SC, Patpong, Patong Beach and Hat Yai.

It is simple:

It is absolutely accepted that men go to prostitutes.

It is absolutely unaccepted that women are prostitutes.

Best regards

Says naiv:

It is simple:

Best regards

Yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head. It seems to me that prostitutes are looked down upon in Thailand just like everywhere else.

Regarding the original post, it is common for an older street wise woman to team up with a younger "new" girl (not saying someone underage, just new) and while showing her the ropes will refer to her as "my daughter". (Maybe more like "my student".) This is kind of like when you meet girls who refer to all of their friends as "my sister".

If the women that Zane met looked a lot alike, well, then maybe they were related but I think the "teacher/student" scenario is the general case of the "mother/daughter" team looking for customers together. So, Zane, did they resemble each other?

Says naiv:

It is simple:

Best regards

couldnt have said it any better myself.

this is not just thailand but the rule anywhere in the world.

but if i can add a bit..

i think it's mainly a man's rule and its contradicting. on one way a lot of men love to go with a prostitute :grinyes: and on the other hand some of these same men like to criticize wimen who are doing them this favour as "bad" wimen :banghead: . it's kinda confusing. :rolleyes::dunno:

Last night I was sitting along the beach in Pattaya

----------------------------------

Did you say Pattaya? How having this kind of experience on a Pattaya beach qualifies to make an all-around judgement on thai views on prostitution. Was she really her daughter? You know it is usually quite common for thais to say such things, even if not blood-related.

Archived