Thai View of Prostitution: Different Take on It

zanemay

Yes, they were definitely mother and daughter, looked just alike. I wish I had said in my original post: The daughter was not especially young. 23 and looked about 27.

I also did not mean to imply that prostitution was generally accepted and I quote my original post: "Among a lot of people in Thailand it's not that big a deal." I would say I know a lot of people.

Someone suggested that prostitution is viewed about the same everywhere. That is patently not so. I don't think Americans or Europeans have a hard-line condemnatory view of prostitution. A lot of American women are fascinated by it. It's legal in Nevada and tolerated in California and a lot of other places.

I maintain my original point: If a very decent, well-mannered, real mother-daugher pair can work together to prostitute the daughter, they (these two individuals) cannot see selling pussy as such a terrible thing. I don't say they are any kind of norm, but I am sure there are lots more like them.

I have had experience on the other side of the coin. I stayed with a gf at a nice hotel in Ayuthya when a Thai wedding party was in for a few days. The members of that group stared daggers at my gf, which she gamely ignored like water off of a duck's back. She was really cool about it - 15 years freelancing in BKK and NO selfesteem problem, except maybe too much of it, but that's another story.

Anyway I know accepting prostitution is not the norm in Thailand. I don't think the family structure of any society could hold together if female prosmiscuity were the norm. (Why...that would make all of us!!!)

Zane

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A significant minority obviously hold such values. We have heard from two posters, Zanemay, and Torney offered the young girl whilst on a travel agents junket.

The evidence certainly supports Zanes hypothesis, saying that both incidents have occured in prostitution "hot spots"..

It would seal Zanes argument if people had similar experiences outside of notorious red light areas.

STH ::

Jazz,

Thanks for your graphic response! Very enlightening! ;)

And fellows,

If you know Zane, love or hate him, you know that he likes a little controversy. I appreciate the feedback and dialogue. If we all had the same ideas we would bore each other to death.

Sanook dee,

Zane

I would also try your theory out by taking a hooker to any Thai company in some social outing and observe how they deal with you.

Better yet, introduce your thai wife as an ex-BG to any thai mainstream event and watch their reaction....

Also, walking around NEP, prostitution seems to be quite well accepted there. And we all know that NEP is a representation of LOS.....

Or else Newsweek or 60 minutes wouldn't keep periodically doing stories on Thailand and prostitution.....

What is image of Thailand and prostitution from other countries' perspectives these days?

Cardinalblue

Says zanemay:

I would add to this point: I have a gf, Joop, who is 22 and is not a prostitute and has never gone with another man. However, it was no problem for her family and friends to welcome me and let me sleep with her in their house. She had gone with one Thai fellow, so she wasn't a virgin.

So...back to point: Among a lot of people in Thailand it's not that big a deal. I think part of it is because sex is not that big a deal. Something to be enjoyed or done as a duty or done for money, but no big deal one way or another.

Zane

It is really interesting.

You have a thai gf and why dont you ask her or her friends and family? As it's not that big a deal in thailand, are your gf and her mum in some way involved in the industry? Would you discuss the topic of "prostitution" at the gathering with your gf's family? Have you discussed your "experience" with your gf's parents?

I feel I am extremely impolite to ask you the questions above. But as prostitution is no big deal in your opinion, then I think it's ok for me to ask. ::

"Among a lot of people in Thailand it's not that big a deal."

-------------------------------------

I think they brush it off under the carpet, and look the other way more than not making a big deal of it. Part of the thai make up, not to voice your opinions or even have one, but given what AIDS has done to this country, I suggest they give it a deal, from time to time. I also know from experience that many girls entering the sex market hardly do it with a smile on their face, opening their legs as to the matter born. These kind of statements as you write should be qualified.

PS: how in the hell does we differentiate a 23 yo and 27 in LOS? Usually, I always get it wrong, and vice versa..... did I say vice???? :o

>>I would also try your theory out by taking a hooker to any Thai company in some social outing and observe how they deal with you.

Better yet, introduce your thai wife as an ex-BG to any thai mainstream event and watch their reaction....

How much of their reaction is just typical Thai hypocrisy and how much is real disgust that cannot easily be bought off by an appropiate amount of money?

Condom King wrote:

>>prostitutes are looked down upon in Thailand just like everywhere else.

I know several female Thai university students and university graduates (from so-called good families, from schools with a good reputation, and not all of them from Isaan) who personally know prostitutes or who have friends who are prostitutes.

I have never known any university student in any other country that I have lived in who personally knew a prostitute.

I know at least one university student and one graduate who have been encouraged resp. told by their mother to work as a prostitute.

I have never personally heard a similar story in any other country.

In my country prostitutes live in another world than the society where I grew up. I have met people here who told me the same about Thailand... but I have also met middle class people who seemed to feel the distance is not really so big.

Iuytrede, C'mon! I will grant you that it is a little different here, but then again everything is a little different here, just as everything is a little different in every country of the world.

The point is that in Thailand prostitution is by and large looked down upon, although prositutes here do function in society to a greater degree than in most other places.

As for a university graduate being encouraged by her mother to work as a prostitute, I'd like to hear the back story on that one! I have never personally heard a similar story in any other country, either, and I doubt that it would happen very often here.

Suffice to say that Thailand is "different", but it's not that "different".

Archived