Thai View of Prostitution: Different Take on It

zanemay

Jeff,

"Zane did not say "it's not that big a deal in Thailand". He said "Among a lot of people in Thailand it's not that big a deal. " Not all, not even most. Simply "a lot"."

How did he conclude that "Among a lot of people in Thailand it's not that big a deal."? It's based on his TWO "experiences". How did he conclude that they were definitely mother and daughter? It's based on the fact that they "looked just alike" from a farang eyes. I think it's very convincing. I would make a site review at nana plaza and walking street and make the conclusion that "Among a lot of people in farangland, buying sex is part of their life."

I am not native english speaker and I interpret "Among a lot of people in Thailand" as significant part of thai people, let say at least more than 25%. So what does "a lot" mean in your opinion? May I make a statment "Among a lot of posters in this forum they are very navie" simply because I read some stupid posts here? Then I would argue that "Not all, not even most. Simply a lot."

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>in certain Issan villages that I have visited it is almost the norm

>>However, in normal Thai society...

what for heaven's sake is "normal" Thai society for you?

Isaan villages or Bangkok hi-so?

Isaan villagers are far more numerous, but Bangkokians hold all the power...

But then again, Bangkokians and "Thai hi-soc ladies" is not really the same. You don't want to tell us that you consider hi-so ladies as "normal society"??

There is no such a thing as a "normal" society in a class society. Different parts of Thai society have different views and values and the differences are sometimes bigger than the the differences between farang and Thais.

• 3 weeks later...

One of so many really dynamic, excellent responses!!

Yes, I did expect to take a lot of heat for my point of view, no problem.

One thing that clearly emerges from the discussion: The role of social status is prized, guarded and protected. As someone said, It is the "respectable" wives that hate the Issan girls. Just like the most racist people in America towards lower class blacks are middle class blacks.

Everybody wants to cut out that little bit of something that signifies they have some class. BKKers in general probably look down on most country people and hate to see them get ahead in any way - Issaners are just lowlifes who have always been and will always be lowlifes. In any society, especially developing ones, there must be ways to display and protect your class status - so many people are moving up socially, they need to show that they are not what their parents were and they need to absolutely deny any connection with the real lower class folk. They may be viscious and ugly in their methods, but there is always a phalanx of old battleaxes up for the job. What the hell else do they have to do? The worst ones always being the ones who are more recently arrived in their status.

I love the Issan girls and hate the battleaxes!!

Fire at Will!!

Thanks for the input.

Zane

Wait a minute - it's ok for you to sleep with her under the family roof????

My god, you are lucky. I can't count how much money in hotel bills I have blown in the past 5 years.

If my gf's parents knew we even slept in the same room - I'd be beaten senseless.

If they knew we slept together, I'd be dead, and she would be disowned. This has been threatened because the parents are not stupid.

I'm not at all allowed to sleep in the house.

If I slept with her IN the house, we'd both be dead, and I doubt it would be a pleasant death.

By the way, I am not kidding. Dad's a bank executive and a thoroughly no-nonsense, traditional Thai.

Archived