Depression...advice plese

I am not a stranger to this board but have changed log-in name for this post.

I would really appreciate any advice, I have become extremely depressed over the last month or so, to the point that I cannot concentrate on my work. This in turn is making me more depressed because I keep thinking about what would happen if I lost my job!! It is also effecting my home life? Most of the people I used to hang around with have been relocated so I go for days without speaking to other westerners?.

On the outside I guess I appear reasonable happy, been in Thailand for a number of years, happily married etc etc. I am in need of some professional help I guess before I really go further downhill? This board always seems to offer some good ideas.. I have searched the web and came up with Community Services of Bangkok, it seems like they have closed down though? not sure if I should see a doctor or what!!! Please give me some serious suggestions.

Many thanks in advance?.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not my strong suit here, but, for what it is worth, you have already said what needs to be done:

>I am in need of some professional help I guess

Go see a doc. and soon. Depression as I understand it can be debilitating, but, with appropriate support can be significantly overcome. Problem is normally that the person is too depressed to do anything about it. You have identified the problem, which is a big first step. As I further understand it (as I said not my strong suit) there can be easily corrected "physiological" problems that lead to depression.

I *seem* to recall that there is at least one farang psychiatrist in BK, but for the life of me cannot pin it down. Maybe a web search or another poster can help.

Please, go seek proper professional help soon. It will do you the world of good.

Best of luck

josh

[color:"red"] Please, go seek proper professional help soon. It will do you the world of good. [/color]

...and in the mean time try to be a little more active, take a walk, excercise, and avoid drinking alcohol.

Definitely talk to a qualified professional.

Its me again. Did a quick surf, and this *may* be a starting place:

http://www.scottmurray.com/community_services_of_bangkok.htm

at least one worth a call or visit.

As you have (wisely) kept anonymity, I would also suggest (as another poster did), trying to get "out there" a bit. Try this Friday at Gullivers for the nanaplaza story contest. There will be other board members there, and a beer and a chat with other expats (you said you were somewhere pretty local, and go for a while with out speaking to other westerners), while not a "cure all" will at least serve to "touch base" with other like minded people (I work fairly far ourside Bk and am in a fairly "thai" environment, so understand what it can be like).

-j-

While I don't work in the field, I have had professional counseling training. And, I see that you have been given good advise from several of the posts.

I have also had to seek help on several occasions and have found that during a time of psychological stress it is very important to build yourself up physically to help with needed endurance. So, eat well, exercise (go for walks or something more strenuous if you exercise normally), get plenty of sleep.

Of course, seek professional help and you seem to be doing.

And, do what you can to get some interaction with Westerners as you already have identified this as an area of concern.

Lasty, I have found it helpful when I have felt depressed to make a commitment to myself to do whatever needs to be done to overcome the causes of your depression. This commitment has helped me feel that the situation will be resolved and life will be good once again.

Best wishes for your speedy recovery

Stay out of the bars, alcohol is a depressant

Try meeting up with some other people. Check the papers for what is happening in the weekend.- church groups etc

Exercise works brilliantly against depression. Get to a gym and force yourself to go every day for 2 weeks. Most of the gyms are relaxing and make you fell better!

I myself am not a big beleiver in drugs for depression. My ex was on them for years. Most drugs they say takes weeks to months before they kick in

I don't think alcohol is a "depressant" in the way it's meant here. Modern drugs (SSRIs) do work - they're some of the best medicines around and the best do start to work pretty quickly. A common misconception about them is that they're addictive, which isn't the case at all. In other words, thumbs up! They're fooking lovely!

I'm a great believer in the power of medicines in this case. Psychotherapy doesn't work. Why would it? For me, depression's just another medical condition - an imbalance of chemicals, this time occuring in the brain. You wouldn't send a diabetic for counselling, or suggest that he tries getting out and about as main therapy, so why here? Get some drugs! (Well, actually - ask a doctor first... ::)

Archived