Depression...advice plese

>Or do a search for SSRIs.. Prozac, Seroxat, Cipramil.. tons of stuff. Modern drugs, very few side effects, will do the job, giving you a kick start within a few weeks.

Sorry to say, this advice I do *not* agree with. While I do not doubt the efficiacy of these drugs, they should only be used as advised by a trained medical professional (and not over the internet).

-j-

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would also suggest you go to Bumrungrad and make an appointment with a Psychiatrist. I am a Therapist and will start working at Bumrungrad in August.

It is important that you don't try to "hide" the depression. That takes a lot of energy, and when we are depressed we are sapped of most of our energy anyway.

Medication might be helpful along with some therapy. Your depression may be situational, in which case short term counseling might be very helpful. My specialty is working with depression and anxiety disorders. If you want to message me I am open to it.

Take care of yourself!!

>Ah, that's why I said at the end, "ask a doctor first"...

Not being overly pedantic, but you said "ask a doctor" at the end of your second post, and my response was to the first one, where you just said "check out" (or words to that effect). Given that many of these drugs are available *without pescription* here in BK, I though a note of caution was applicable. After seeing medical advice, and if thats what was pescribed, then go for it.

cheers

josh

Nah, that was my second post. The first said, "Go to see a doctor, get some pills..". Plus, with everyone else saying "go see a professional", I didn't think more weight was needed on that point! Lastly, I wanted to dispel a few misconceptions that might frighten him away from antidepressants.

Hi - just putting in some of thoughts and facts. Not in any order. Number is just for reference.

1. Depression is prolonged periods of unhappiness. I have had that situation many a times - even when a child and teenager. Sometimes from trying to cope with keeping up with the Joneses (could be school, sports, weight/size). Also sexual frustration and guilt (e.g. from masturbation or having sexual desires).

2. I have read psychology books to help cope. Self help books etc. Self improvement. How to Be Happy. Even online books ie. how to find "stuff" e.g. like this web board.

3. Been on the medication too - ie the Prozac for sometime. This doens't really help. It makes the mind work less (so perhaps less worry?) But i guess my mind becomes slower and that's kinda bad. (Took the other medicine (i forgot the name but not Zoloft.. it's another company - that one made me sleepy).

4. Being happy is not from medication or books, or sex, sexual positions, partner(s), number of that, sexiest, fantasies, alot of money, gold, a big empty house, a beach house, alot of food (even som tam). Being happy is a state when you yourself agrees you're happy. Not becos you need to keep up with the next fella, the JOneses. That's why when we compare, we tend to feel upset cos we perceive we are inadequate for a portion of the other person's beauty, wealth, food, appearance of happiness or conquest.

One good way is to stop or minimise comparing.

If someone bought a new car. Does it mean you have to buy one? Perhaps in your town/city, your transport is so good you won't need one ever.

If your best frd has the prettiest girl you've seen (or fukced). Does it mean you have to find that one too - be it farang (whom you might have end up divorced) or someone "else" some other country?

If the best burger in town is the BigMac and yes you could have it for about $5 or 80 Baht or 3 GBP, does it mean after eating it, you'll surely be happier? You WILL. if only you tell yourself you are.

5. Some ppl are more depress prone than others. Also some ppl are more injury prone than other footballers or wrestlers. Some ppl tend to be slower at maths than others. Some ppl can only speak one language and can't pick up another. Some ppl tend to put on weight faster than another.

That's all. Happy reading. (and I mean be happy reading).

Take care.

( i thought of using another account name, but forgot the login so ..)

Sorry, I couldn't let this go: The medication (which has been clinically proven to help millions of people) "doesn't help"

This disdain for professional pharmacology from the same guy who wants to use chloroform on his girlfriend just for a kidnap role-playing game????!! (link) :o:dunno:

Maybe it didn't work on you but I suggest you've got a special kind of mind! ::

Thanks for all your replies... I thought I would get one or two replies at the most.

I took your advice and have an apointment at Bumrungrad tomorrow. I will let you know how things go on.

As far as medication goes I will wait and see what the Doc suggests. I could not find a farang Dr by the way....

Thanks again

Archived