DVD?s PC versus TV players

Palatkik

Here?s a newbie question I have about DVD drives in PC?s. Are they for any use other than playing movies? I have never seen any software sold on DVD to date.

If they are only for playing movies, then how come more than half the discs I buy (ok I?ll admit they are all bootleg movies off the street in Bangkok) won?t play, yet they play well enough on my TV DVD player? Is the PC problem a software issue or what?

When you think about, you'll realise that there's software on your "TV" DVD player too - only this software is burnt onto a chip and it's unchangeable. I bought a personal CD/VCD player a couple of years ago and my PC software has fewer problems than it with VCDs. I suggest you try upgrading your PC DVD software. Plenty of choice about - try www.tucows.com for starters. Theoretically, the latest PC software should be more capable than the "TV" one (although the PC screen may be worse).

Hi!

When you think about, you'll realise that there's software on your "TV" DVD player too - only this software is burnt onto a chip and it's unchangeable.

However true in some cases there are also players (quite a few) that that use flash memory to store the firmware. These palyers are easy to upgrade.

regards

ALHOLK

Says whosyourdaddy:

For now DVD are only for movies and music.. I am sure games will come out on them soon. There are a number of software apps that play moves. windvd etc. DVD- writers are also available for the computer

For movies a tv version is much better!

Do not forget that large lexicons like MS Encarta or Encyclopaedia Britannica are much easier to use on DVD, because you do not have to change multiple CD's frequently.

The DVD software for your computer is set to only one region and will not play DVD's from other regions. You need new software or an "upgrade" that will crack your software to read all regions.

I prefer DVD on my computer because it responds quicker, though I no longer have a huge ass monitor.

<<burp>>

Hi!

I have noticed that he repeatedly posts on technical issues without having a clue about them.

Apart from the programs you mentioned a large and increasing number of software are issued on DVDs. These include operating systems, software development kits etc.

regards

ALHOLK

I prefer DVD on my computer because it responds quicker, though I no longer have a huge ass monitor.

[color:"blue"]

That's why you use TV Out to connect to the TV!!!!

If you need cables, I got some Monster cables I don't use anymore ...

[/color]

Archived