Soi 22

MadStockBroker

i just reread your post and realized, that you might be asking for nightlife action?!?!

the area with the longest tradition is Washington Square (entrance from Soi 22 opposite Regency Park Hotel); this area is usually very quiet and frequented mostly by expats and Bangkok veterans; there are also some traditional massage places there. it's actually amazing that some of the bars survive with so few customers (for example Prince of Wales, Crystal Bar and Happy Pub); others like Square One, Silver Dollar and Denny's Corner (open beer bar at the entrance) are a bit more busy

further up the Soi is Queens plaza, a area that opened around 2 years ago. a couple of beer bars and bars with pool tables; not very busy either

then there are 2 bars close to Regency Park hotel, one trying to copy the Hostess Format of Soi 33, the other with a pool table. between regency park hotel and sukhumvit behind Larry's Dive is Tina, the only gogo (just one or two girls dancing) on soi 22 and together with it's sister bar New Toy rather pushy. there are 2 other bars close to Sukhumvit, one that i have never seen any customer inside and Angel Bar, which is rather freaky.

i forgot the New Cowboy Bar, which is about half a mile into the Soi, pool table and many regulars. and then there is a brand new area further into the Soi with restaurants (one large Suki place) and beer bars; but one has to observe how this develops

Hi msb,

samak has just about summed it all up.

The old places on Washington Square are, imo, not very good. Bourbon Street is there also but it is really a restaurant, although it has a pleasant pub-style bar area. It is "No Smoking" if that is relevant to you.

I like the Queens Plaza area - a bit like the old Soi 10 beer bars. I was there last night and there were quite a few customers around - that was my impression anyhow. Hideaway Bar is my favourite these days - but it is a bit ......... hidden away, at the back behind the restaurant.

Khwai

I like Washington Sq. Texas Lone Star is a must! A long standing institution! A real redneck bar, complete with texas bbq and Thai women! :) Love the place. The girls are a bit worn, but a few decent ones here and there. Some are really old and haggared, but so are the customers, so it evens out! :)

>this area is usually very quiet and frequented mostly by expats and Bangkok veterans

My overall impression is "bar beers with aircon". A nice change of pace if you are tired of the buzz and glitz of NEP or Soi Cowboy or fancier bars like Gulliver's. Pretty friendly and laid-back atmosphere as you could expect from bar beers, and the air-conditioned bars allow you to escape the heat unlike Asoke Plaza. The quietness allows even less than brilliant players like me to have access to a pool table later in the evening, unlike the more popular venues. You can also have a decent dinner without leaving the area in one of the restaurants along the soi.

Wagner

Says samak:

.... it's sister bar New Toy.....

so the New Toy isnt linked to the SC Toy Bar ?

Went in there a couple of months ago and got a nice chat but nothing else although I am sure the guy in the corner was having something done by the 3 girls round him.

The other beer bars are just a bit too quiet for me, whenever I have gone only 1 or 2 have had more than 1 customer and they werent sanuking but using it as their regular bar.

But its good to go somewhere new and get out of the old routine once in a while.

Says ultras67:

so the New Toy isnt linked to the SC Toy Bar ?

actually the guy (an older thai chap), who owns Tina and New Toy was the former owner of Toy bar at SC (just the bar, not the building as all other bars in SC as well); it is said that the 2 ladies who run the 2 bars are his mia luang and his mia noi.

Toy at SC is owned by Sorn and her australian husband/BF Steve for several years now; she also owns Fanny, Moonshine and Jungle Jim.

Archived