Motor Cycles

jackspratt

During 40 beautiful days with me in Beijing, my TGF has talked me into buying her a motor cycle when I visit her in LOS next month. How much should I expect to pay for a standard 125cc (Honda, Yamaha, whatever). Would I be better off buying in Bagkok, or is the price likely to be the same in Udon Thani, which is near where she lives?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

My brother-in-law just bought one 2 months ago. I think he paid 43,000 Baht, but he is paying in installments and you can bet he is being raped by the interest.

I guess if you pay cash you might be able to get one around 30-35K Baht.

Sanuk!

Why a 125 ?

A simple Honda Dream is much better and costs only 25.000 Baht. If she is still your girl friend this should be enough.

I found this offer in Chiang Mai, near Thapae Gate.

And this price is also mentionend in all the rent contracts i've signed in the past when i rented a Honda Dream.

Maybe it has gone up to 30.000 but i still this is the upper end.

I'd guess on the skinny tires and prolly bad brakes (it's not disc brakes on the "Dreams", I think). One should also consider that Thai bikes are not made with a typical Westerners height and weight in mind...

Just for general knowledge: Honda Thai motorcycles has a web page with prices etc here:

http://www.aphonda.co.th/

Just be gentle to the server squirrel...he seems quite overloaded with work already :)

Stray cats summed it up well enough. Very poor brakes,even the disc brake models, skinny tires and the consequent tiny contact patch. The small size of the wheel means very little gyroscopic stability, in other words at low speed they are unstable. These things are built to a very low price, component quality ( shock absorbers, transmission etc ) is low, failure rates high.

Archived