Thailand's Firearm laws

Vladican

Ownership of anything more than a muzzle loader or single shot shotgun is illegal without a hard to get permit. Of course, there are a hell of a lot of weapons floating around ILLEGALLY.

Go to a gunshop here and the first thing they do is ask to see your permit. But it is easy enough to buy firearms of all sorts on the black market. Lots of military weapons flooded into the country from Cambodia during the Khmer Rouge reign.

p.s. Even the police are not supposed to carry their weapon when off duty.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>If I was a long term resident there I would buy one and keep it home....<<<

without a hard to get permit you would be in a lot of trouble. anyone who does not like you can blackmail you or get you deported (after serving the prison sentence for posession of an illegal firearm).

if in case you shoot a burglar and your gun is not registered you can be sure that you are going to spend a looong time in prison here.

Ummmm, what exactly are you planning on taking care of? Hope you dont intend to shoot someone :nono:

Cheers

Jaga

LOL... I will be concentrating on taking care of getting myself some much needed R&R

Says maisanuk:

What do you need a gun for???????????????? :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

You miss understand, I do not need nor wish to purchase a firearm in LOS, I simply wished to track down some "Parts" to a couple of firearms. Not a big deal really

I don't worry about carrying in Thailand as my wife's family having police, military (lot's), and uhm Chinese triad connections there is always protection nearby, although it is never needed. :o

As for parts I live in the gun loving U.S. of A. and therefore can get anything I need close to home. ::

Guest lazyphil

<<As for parts I live in the gun loving U.S. of A. and therefore can get anything I need close to home>>

We are yet to progress past fists and broken beer bottle as forms of weapons in limey land :cover:

i wouldnt buy a gun, but it was great to get a chance on a firing range as we simply arent allowed to in the UK. Our problem was a tabloid led knee jerk reaction to the slaying of a primary school class- however there were ample laws in place to stop this they just werent properly enforced.

I think there is a range in Pattaya that lets you rent and use firearms on it. No idea of the charges.

p.s. The US has plenty of firearms laws already, but they often aren't enforced. I loved the wonderful argument the anti-gun bunch used as to why you shouldn't buy a pistol for home protection. "A thief might break in and steal it." Yup, hard to disagree with that.

The NRA and other pro-firearm ownership groups have argued for years for a mandatory prison sentence for anyone uses a weapon in the commission of a crime. But the liberals have opposed that as "discriminatory" or something. Instead, they want to criminalise everyone.

:dunno:

Archived