Thailand's Firearm laws

Vladican

Hi,

I have been searching around the web for the past few days, trying to get an idea of what the Gun laws are for Thailand. Meaning, can the indigenous and foreign populas own handguns or long-guns? If so, can any of you recommend a decent gun shop in the Bangkok area (need to find some parts if possible while I am passing through town)

Thanks

P.S. Been looking around www.police.go.th, with not to much luck.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess there are shooting ranges there, and I guess citizens can own guns, but I i was you, as a tourist, I would avoid anythting to do with anything regarding firearms.

Parts? I am sure that there are no gun parts in Thailand that you cannot get somewhere else without risk.

I think you would be better off buying your parts elsewhere as from what I understand legally held firearms are very expensive in Thailand as there are import restrictions with each gun shop only being able to import a certain quota of hanguns, rifles and shotguns each year. Farang residents are able to get a licence (a friend of mine has one) but I believe its not particularly easy.

Cheers Simie.

Thanks for the input,

I agree, as mainly a tourist, I do not want to be hassled by the local authorities. However, if LOS firearm laws were lax I could take care of two things at once when I rolled into town in a few days.

there was a thread about shooting range in LOS some while back in the sports and leisure section.

i heard it is not very easy as a foreigner to get a permission to own firearms in thailand. you need really a good reason; sport and leisure is not sufficent.

Poster: Vladican

I have been searching around the web for the past few days, trying to get an idea of what the Gun laws are for Thailand. Meaning, can the indigenous and foreign populas own handguns or long-guns?

============================================================

There was a Nations newspaper story (June 16) of Peter Bunler, a 40 yr old Swiss ex-soldier in Roi Et, who was arrested for having 3 guns (Glock and Ringer handguns and a long shotgun) and a large amount of ammo. He claims it was for hunting and he had permission from the Swiss Embassy(?). He said that he had lots of ammo because he bought it cheaper overseas and brought it back to Thailand.

Police don't believe him.

There are a lot of gun shops in Bangkok, clustered around Burapha Road (just north of Chinatown and Phahurat, The Old Siam shopping center).

My understanding is that it is quite easy to legally purchase a gun, at least for a Thai citizen. What's difficult is acquiring a license to carry it in public.

All--

Thought this was an interesting question... For curiousity purposes I called our contact at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) office..

I was then told to call the MFA's office of Diplomatic Privilege and Immunity Division (DPID).. I was told that it IS possible for a foreigner to own (ownership is different than posession on your person) and for a foreigner to posess (concealed or otherwise) a firearm in Thailand..

In a nutshell, the DPID will issue permits for both ownership and/or posession of firearms for foreigners with cause in Thailand.. Most common examples.. Members of security detail (Bureau of Diplomatic Security) when carried off "priviledged" (embassy) grounds, selected members of the Diplomatic corps, members of selected international organizations as well as NGO's...

You must file your request in person at the MFA/DPID office (Sri Ayudhya Road) and each case is judged individually... Permits are valid for one year unless issued for the duration of a person's exempton card

I asked if it was possible for a "normal" person to acquire such permits.. again, in a nutshell the answer was 'you can try' but it is hughly unlikely.. you have to have a substantial need...

FYI, this is also the same office that one must go to obtain a Thai Official Passport as no other office issues them in the Kingdom.

--UPSer

Says Vladican:

Thanks for the input,

I agree, as mainly a tourist, I do not want to be hassled by the local authorities. However, if LOS firearm laws were lax I could take care of two things at once when I rolled into town in a few days.

Ummmm, what exactly are you planning on taking care of? Hope you dont intend to shoot someone :nono:

Cheers

Jaga

Archived