The Underclass Role of Issan People

zanemay

My secretary is fairly new and from Issan, studied at the best University, makes no effort to hide her roots and is a very highly regarded member of our team.

-----------------------------------

Spot on. Anyone who has spent some time around Issan, can see that in the cities, they are no different, no "brown-ier" and no less affluent than BKK "middle" thais. Otherwise it's the same thing as anywhere, manual labor: boo! white collar/9 to 5ers: nice!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sex tourists take their tilacs to schools, hospitals, restaurants, buses, planes, hotels..

----------------------------------

I thought that sex tourists were just...having sex ::!

Unless you mean that a farang seen with a TG, or supposedly BG (that happens often, some are actually Bg-married... for years, with kids too) is a sex tourist, period. If I go the same way, I find 99% of thai men, all stratas, are way too dark to be from anywhere but Issan. Ah, perceptions, perceptions....

but they are not Thai and cannot be placed in the Thai social status hiearchy.

----------------------------------

True! IMO, farang outsider status is rather a special situation we should always celebrate. the pros outweigh the cons by a large margin, especially if you behave.

I have found that some people from isaan look down upon people from the North

---------------------------------

Absolutely, moreover, some issaners also have prejudices about other places in Issan. I know for a fact that around Korat, in my GF's village for example, people can be a tad defensive about being "issan". One time, I ask why they never serve Kao Niaw/sticky rice with meals, and they said: "Kao niaw Issan, here Korat, not same!".

that now is the huge question. i have no fucking idea.

---------------------------------

No way you have no f...g idea :: ::.

Apart from the manual vs non-manual labor, it all harks back to Dear King Chula, who started the great "BKK Rules" centralization.

Since then, the real thai canons of behaviour, economics, education language, etc... were established in BKK. very exclusively: "We great central thais are going to bring civilization to our poor bereft amnd barbaric brothers elesewhere in the country".

Which, BTW, was not much of a country, and badly unified before that. Allegiances were to local authorities, BKK was really far, and not much of an input then. Then they built the BKK-Korat, BKK-Chiang Mai railway lines, and it all went very fast from that point on.

Archived