The Underclass Role of Issan People

zanemay

>She hasn't hooked up with a high-class male! She's hooked up with a stupid kee-nok sokkaprok farang, and they deserve each other! Many Thai's totally look down on the farang men that consort with such women, and view such farang men with equal disdain.

That's what I tried to say in another thread.

Isaan BGs could be the bottom of the Thai society barrel , but still standing higher than sex tourists, IMO.

At least, if there is a dispute among a BG (or Isaan looking girl) and a farang, police and countrymen would stand on their (Isaan) side, no many or any questions asked.

Pity that almost all farangs seem to be put in the same basket.

IMO, sex tourists (or farangs mistakenly thought to be from that group) are the rock bottom of what one can be in Thai. Isaan BGs are standing on their shoulders, artificially elevated.

And there is still enjoyment on offer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Each country has a "butt "of jokes populace, like you said invariably the city dweller will look down on the country bumbkin.... In UK people will make jokes about the Irish, in France people from Belgium, ( sorry BB) In Ireland they will poke fun at people from Cavin.....

All part of what makes like interesting.......

In Italy the people fromt he north think they are superior to the South...

STH

>>>if there is a dispute among a BG (or Isaan looking girl) and a farang, police and countrymen would stand on their (Isaan) side, no many or any questions asked.<<<

that is an oversimplification.

it just depends on the particular situation. first of all it has nothing to do if that BG is isaarn looking or not, but depends very much on the conflict, on the kind of farang who is involved etc.

>>>IMO, sex tourists (or farangs mistakenly thought to be from that group) are the rock bottom of what one can be in Thai. Isaan BGs are standing on their shoulders, artificially elevated.<<<

maybe in your opinion, but in reality sextourists have no part within the social pecking order in this country, neither high nor low - simply outside. they come, spend their money and go, the same like most expats - they come, mix only with other expats (and a few bargirls) and go again.

do I need to go on with my list?

Go on as much as you like :up:, My point is my own observations personlly I do not give a rats arse where anyone comes from, but my own observations are that the Issan people are considered the underclass of Thai society, I am not saying that the hilltribes are not mistreated either as I know they are treated like second class citizens with no rights, I am listening to Thai conversations everyday and hardly ever hear that Thailand's problems are blamed on the hilltribe people, what I do hear and see every day is people from Issan being treated as the underclass of Thai society,

have a look into some of the upper middle class houses here and see how many of their maids (often very badly treated) are from those hilltribes.

Take a look how many have Issan maids there are, many more doing this job than hilltribe maids that's is for sure,

but in reality it does not make one bit of difference here if someone with a funny accent is from isaarn or from the north or the south - they are equally looked down upon by some members of the affluent central Thai classes.
In reality yes, but I hardly hear many central Thai's slagging off or running people down from the south, its the Issan people that are the ones that get all the bad remarks, In the South its the same the Thai's look down on the Issan people as well.

dining isaarn style is always fashionable

So is dinning French but you do not see the French people being very popular :grinyes:

Also to set the record straight I am going on about the first point zanemay made not the rest of his post, the bit about farangs being high-status must surely be a wind-up.... :dunno:

>>>Also to set the record straight I am going on about the first point zanemay made not the rest of his post, the bit about farangs being high-status must surely be a wind-up.... <<<

that's the sad part - it ain't a wind up. :doah:

>>>Take a look how many have Issan maids there are, many more doing this job than hilltribe maids that's is for sure,<<<

true, but they are treated way better. they can leave whenever they want without any problem, better pay etc.

>>>I am listening to Thai conversations everyday and hardly ever hear that Thailand's problems are blamed on the hilltribe people,<<<

it all depends with which people you mix, but try sometime to raise the subject hilltribes and suss out what people have to say.

>>>In reality yes, but I hardly hear many central Thai's slagging off or running people down from the south, its the Issan people that are the ones that get all the bad remarks<<<

most of the time when i hear people in those sort of conversations it the 'puak ban nork' which somehow means every one from a village.

my missus for example is thai yuan from the north with a thick accent - she gets exactly the same shit.

>>>So is dinning French but you do not see the French people being very popular<<<

give me italian food any day, beats french cuisine by leagues, IMO :grinyes:

>maybe in your opinion, but in reality sextourists have no part within the social pecking order in this country, neither high nor low - simply outside. they come, spend their money and go, the same like most expats - they come, mix only with other expats (and a few bargirls) and go again.

Not even ones squeezing their bf from last night on the sky train? Invisible? Not causing any bad looks nor frowns?

Sex tourists take their tilacs to schools, hospitals, restaurants, buses, planes, hotels...no way they can be ignored, there is some human interraction with Thai staff, everywhere.

Probably no any social rating can be applied to them, but that's what I am saying. There are some other God's creatures that nobody tries to fix into a social system, whatever the system might be.

Funny when the topic of hilltribe people comes up in conversation most middle to upper class thais I know have a genuine interest in the tribes and usually have somethign to say about their treatment by the government.

You have way too much negativity towards everything that appears to attack your upcountry paradise ::

Reality is the Thai people are used to blaming others for all their problems, whether it be detached hilltribes or complete foriegn entities.

I would think colour is higher on the list of reasons for degrading upcountry people.

>>>Not even ones squeezing their bf from last night on the sky train?<<<

them...constant source of embarrasment... :banghead:

but have you noticed - mostly when that happens people just look the other way as if the scene there is in someone else's imagination and not really existing. ::

>>>...no way they can be ignored, there is some human interraction with Thai staff, everywhere.<<<

thais have this incredible ability to let things they don't want to notice just drop off.

somehow, many people have their opinion on us (which is often not very favourable thanx to people like those skytrain casanovas), but it ranks rather low on their need-to-think-about list.

Says zanemay:

In America we have lower class blacks, and we can all feel better (especially other black people) knowing that we are not like "those people." You could say that every society needs its "n...rs." (I think this is how most black people I know would put it.)

Odd, most Black Americans I know would never refer to themselves as "n...rs" the term actually means someone is an ignorant person not an ethnic group. I have also heard the term used in reference to Jews in America too. In California the Mexicans are at the bottom of the ethnic groups not the Blacks although in real terms the differences are so minute that it really does not make a difference.

In Thailand, that slot is filled by the people of Issan. tending to antisocial and criminal behavior. . . that instantly identifies them.

Are you sure about this one? I mean do you really know that Issan people are more antisocial and prone to criminal behavior than other Thais or is that YOUR perception?

What really galls these people is when an Issan girl hooks up successfully with a farang. The little "whore," as they see it, takes a big financial leap over the heads of their respectable daughters! It is a social leap too, as she has hooked up with a kind of high-status male

The "whore" as you put it may take a big financial leap but she sure as heck does not make a big ""status" leap over high status Thais. I think you place too much value on the farang status wise in Thai society. Farang IMO are tolerated, and respected to a point because of what they can offer Thais in the form of financial or other opportunities but they are not Thai and cannot be placed in the Thai social status hiearchy. I am speaking strictly outside of friendships and family relationships and more in a generality.

Archived