Which Markets Are The Best

Torneyboy

Guest lazyphil

The weekend market on Koh Kret is rather small but a very interesting one and like the one you mention has no tourists to speak of. Has quite a few stalls selling local Mon pottery.

Klong Tom market is along Charoen Krung Rd (around Soi 12 or so?). It's a pretty good market. As the ball & chain puts it: "It's a market for men". I don't know about that...but they do have a wide variety of stuff...like tools, stereos, car stuff, appliances, furniture, etc & all the usual junk you find at any market.

It should be said that it's a bit difficult to find your way around here though. You will probably need a couple of visits before you feel at home.

what you list are mainly tourist traps!!

-------------------------

Incidentally, local markets are not nevessarily the best choioce to buy cheaper. Same as "business down, prices higher" rule, many thai sellers, less sophisticated in the Art of bargaining with farangs in these places, will hike up prices and not budge.

I like Chatachuk, but some times tough to deal with the heat, etc. Nairapran (across from WTC is OK in the basement level, but the prices in the upper levels increased a whole lot in the past couple of years. In May I went to the Lumpini night market for the first time and was impressed...an organized, neat and much cooler (just because of the time of day) chatachuck. However, I went on my last night in BKK, and didn't want to spend my last hours shopping, so I didn't get a chance to check out many of the prices, etc.

Archived