Motorcycle Taxi Mafia

Torneyboy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Btw i have never used one is it mainly locals that use the motorcycle taxi?

I use them all the time, and I was a farang last time I looked. :hubba:

I live in Pink Lao, (across the river in Thonburi), and when I want to go sanukking in the Suk, its either 120 baht and 1 to 1 and-a-half hours in a taxi, or 120 baht and 15 (albeit hell-raising) 20 minutes on a motorcycle taxi. I have a regular taxi guy and he actually rides really carefully for me. (Although still quite quickly). I know I'm one ride closer to my last every time I get on but... mai pen rai... ::

just dont forget the helmet , accidents happen.

Have you seen those helmets??? :p

You might as well have an old ice-cream container with an elastic band tied around it and under your chin.

Every time I get on, I think that if we DO crash, I'm gonna be just fine... apart from a few grazes and a sharp piece of plastic embedded in my skull! :eek:

i have to agree with you, the helmets are indeed of the "light" version. they probably give the same degree of protection as half a volleyball on your head.

But without one, you are prone for a baht fine from the traffic po-lice, on that score half a plastic "helmet" is good for your wallet, too. :rolleyes:

pc

>>>The reason I think motorcycle guys make more is that they do not need to rent their motorbikes and their gas costs are much lower<<<

problem though is that a lot of them have to buy their motorcycles on credit with monthly installments - and that is huge. a new bike which on cash costs around 60 K will cost on credit somewhere around 100 K. and the work is dangerous.

regarding taxis, i regularly chat with the drivers so i can give some overview here.

most cab drivers here rent their taxis from the large fleetowners. the new taxis cost about 650 baht for one halfday shift, plus that they have to pay for their radios (new law thanx to thaksin, who incidently is one of the largest boys in the radio market ;) ) i think it is somewhere around 1000 or 2000 baht a month.

you can hire the old taxis for 500 baht per halfday to 600 per full day depending on condition.

the income depends also on what engine the taxis use - either benzin (about 400 baht a day) or gas (maybe half of that). difference is that gas is a lot more dangerous and sometimes leakes which is not that healthy if you are stuck in that car for 12 hours.

generally, a taxidriver with a modern taxi has to gross around 1200 a shift before making any profit at all, one with an old cab with a gas engine maybe 600 to 800, but he will have less fares.

not easy for those blokes especially since bangkok closed down after two they have not much luck anymore in the nightshift.

few of them make more than 10 K a month. many days they can't even earn the rent and the benzin.

the other way is to buy your own cab, but that means you have to splash out 100K or 200K upfront and spend the next years sending about 20 K a month off, you gotta cover upkeep and repairing, pay for the radio etc. a normal cab costs with all lisenses more than 1 million baht and can be used i think about 9 years.

one smart guy who drove bought a OK second hand cab for 200 K, did a few repairments. but that still means to come up with 200 K which most people who consider taxidriving here never will be able to come up with.

big problem is that there are way too many taxis in bangkok so it becomes increasingly difficult for them to make money. you also can't really limit the taxis, because there just are not enough jobs for them. lots of people are forced to drive a taxi because they lost their jobs, or because their farms do not generate enough income.

tough life.

no,

it used to be like that some years ago, but now both the driver and the sozius are required to wearing a helmet. the law is enforced in every bigger town, but when you get to the small towns out behind the mountains, it seems that they dont

take it so seriously. phuket and pattaya are examples where you can go like this :: cruising along without protecting your head (no pun).

To further confusion I have to add that actually, sometimes the "win" motorcy taxis are sort of immune towards the "helmet law" at least in their local area, and you can go with them as a passenger, without wearing a helmet. however, this depends on the police officer too, and some of them (as we know) like to pull over the farang who doesnt wear a helmet, just because he knows that he can squeeze off an easy bribe-baht.

then again, some police will leave a farang passenger alone, either because the officer cant speak farang, and doesnt want to loose face, or because we as foreigners often get the granted benefit of the doubt.

its that simple, really...just wear a helmet :cover:

njoy ur weekend.

Cheers,

PC

Says FlyPapillon:

I thought it was only the front rider who had to wear the helmet by law in Thailand? I didn't think the passenger was obliged to???
:dunno:

Nope, all passengers have to wear the helmet.........

Just check the main avenues in BKK, daily police / collection points there :)

I always wear one !

Cheers !

I own 2 used taxi's in Bangkok, and am about ready to buy my first new one... I charge my drivers 700 baht per day, figuring that they run 6 days a week... Yes, I am easy on them, but have Great Drivers... With the new taxi I will have to charge about 1,000 to 1,100 baht per day, but the drivers seem to think that with a new taxi it will be much better and easier for them to get fares...

Most of my drivers average about 200 to 300 baht per day in net income... They say there is no shortage of customers as long as they are willing to keep moving and travel in the right areas...

I don't want to increase my competition, but if some of you guys do the math, it can be a Great Investment... But as with any business venture, the proper employees are the key...

Pianoman

Archived