Buying a condo (legal and visa issues)

I've been living in Bangkok for the past 18 months, but now I would like to purchase a condo here. If the purchase price is over 3 million baht, I will qualify for a one-year visa that is renewable in the country (I have a Non-immigrant "B" visa now).

1) Has anybody on this board obtained this type of visa after purchasing a condo?

2) Any recommendations for a lawyer to handle the condo purchase? I'm not expecting any problems, but I don't want to encounter any problems in the future like the property owners on Sukhumvit Soi 10 !!

-Jeff

Yes I am in the situation you describe.

I bought a condo for 4 million with money transferred into the country and I have applied for the visa which is currently under consideration with immigration. I am/was on a non immigrant B visa as well.

I got lots of conficting points of view when I went to apply for the visa, first they said I couldn't have it because I did not buy the condo from the developer, then after speaking to the boss at immigration they said I could....

Well all the paperwork is in and I am just waiting till next month to find out their response!

Just as an aside I did all the interview and chat at immigration all in thai, and that seemed to predispose the staff to look favourably and they reassured me that I should have no problems getting the visa.

Well I won't know for sure till mid July but I will post the result on here once I know.

...which precisely reinforces my notion that I will NEVER, EVER buy property or make serious investment in Thailand. You are utterly at the mercy of a system without due process or rule of law. After spending a few million baht, you must now basically beg for what Thailand's own rules say is supposed to be coming to you. And it could be taken away at any time based on those same "points of view."

No thanks!

Archived