Superstition

thalenoi

I finally bought that new motorbike (Honda Wave 125cc, electric starter, front disk brake) after the tg hit my brains during one month. Seems to be a status thing, I don't really need a new motorbike, we have been happy with the old bike since we bought it second hand. She must have gotten many remarks on the cheap farang she is living with...

lStill have the old Honda Dream, 56k km, 14 years old, rusted but surely able to keep him running for an other 10 years.

Well before we went shopping the tg checked her books to see what they say for the day of the week she was born, I was born, our blood types...good day to buy, luck, no accidents....I could n't care less.

Regardless of this book wisdom she wanted the bike to be black, which they did not have in stock. Next color on her list was silver, they did not have the version according to our requirements, green was excluded, next was red, also unavailble. Finally, there was no choice: only had one in stock, blue.

When we came home she showed her book and said we're lucky, it had to be blue...

This morning she went to buy a few things for the wat and brought our brand new bike to be blessed by the monks.

There are some monk inscriptions now which will enable us to drive safely....and the missus is very very happy.

I am curious to know if some of you have similar experiences and believes?

No i dont have such strong experiences with superstition, but a lot of Thais believe on things like that. Also the deputy prime minister. :censored:

Many thais believe this but not all. My GTG dont believe such things (thanks).

I think its could get dangerous, if your lady is starting to make the day after astrology or superstition results.

Hi,

Yes, same here. My wifes VERY superstitious and visits fortunetellers often, knowing that I do not like them and see them as a waste of money.

I tried talking to her about this a few times, but she is adamant in her beliefs and the last time told me something to the effect of "This is what I belief, and just like there is nothing I can say to make you belief the same thing, so there is nothing you can say to make me stop believing."

Could not argue with that.

Sanuk!

but a plenty of monks blessing the new vehicle. I've done it a few times now. It's a cute ceremony :)

I've seen quite a few of these ceremonies as well. :)

Not my TG though, but her unlce who bought a new house last year. He still has a few of these 'drawings' / 'words' on one of his windows.

Same with a colleague of mine and her new car. The 'evidence' is still there. ::

the tg checked her books to see what they say for the day of the week she was born, I was born,

Wonder if her book is the i-ching. The year and day you and she were born as well as the times of day you were born are very important. Not just for shopping, but for your relationship.

She visits with the monk periodically right?

You may want to ask her what the monk says about the two of you being together. The monk here in the states told my ex-tgf that i would meet and fall in love with a girl born in the year of the monkey (my tgf was born in the yr of the snake).

This was a powerful monk and his words had a strong effect, my girl knew inside we would not be together long.

Hi Thalenoi,

it's for real. My bike was blessed by my wife's grandma. Older persons are respected a lot here and the white tie came from grandma on this bike.

When we moved into our house it was a big deal what day it'ld be, we had to wait a few days before we could move in. It looks as if this is even stronger with Thai Chinese. A few gold shops in Chaweng looked ready to roll but didn't open for a few weeks(!) waiting for a good day............

My wife didn't visit a palm reader/fortune teller for a long time now tho, when we started to see each other she did it more frequently.

I had a TGF insist I had my fortune told by this old Chinese looking guy when I was staying up in Mukdahan a few years ago, this was done by a (tame?) bird flying from a nearby branch onto the mat we were sitting on, this bird then hopped over to me and pulled out a thin stick of wood from a can full that I had been given to hold. On this stick there were symbols and strange writing, he then began to interperit the stick, I couldn't understand a word he told me, but the GF translated. It was all very odd and a little spooky, strangely enough, much of what was told to me has proved to be quite accurate. It still sends a shiver up my back when I think about it. I'm still not a believer, although I wouldn't make fun of someone who is. :dunno:

Archived