Have a Virus - But How!!??

gawguy

I'm getting a bogus dialog box on shutdown - "End Program - Dialog Box Demo." Also computer is running SLOW. This is a known problem, searched it. "You have a virus. Look in task manager, things are running without your permission. Only Norton Antivirus 2003 fixes it."

Okay, but of course I don't want to buy it. How can I have a virus!? I have been in Thailand for 3 months and never on line with this computer. I get back, I reformat my HD a week ago. I load Win2000, MS Office Thai, Office Switch. I bought all of these bootleg in LOS. I load AOL 7.0 which raises hell with my IBM Thinkpad, but which is fixable. I logon to the internet check email and download a few zip files. I then have logon authentication problems, another known problem. I use my Win2000 install disk and choose "Fix current installation." It takes an hour like a regular install, only it doesn't wipe the drive. All is well, except the "virus."

Do viruses reside on bootleg software? On AOL installation disks? How can I get rid of it without buying Norton?

GG

The virus could have been on the bootleg software. It could also have come in an attachment to an email. There is a site where you can download and install free antivirus software called AVG which may be able to remove the virus. Check it out at www.grisoft.com. I use it. It works pretty well. There is also a site where you can test and clean your system for viruses online: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

As a general rule, unless you are expecting a particular attachment, you should not open email attachments without first scanning them for viruses even if you know the sender of the email.

Says Mongatu:

The virus could have been on the bootleg software. It could also have come in an attachment to an email. There is also a site where you can test and clean your system for viruses online:

As a general rule, unless you are expecting a particular attachment, you should not open email attachments without first scanning them for viruses even if you know the sender of the email.

I received 23 viruses in 2003 alone :cussing:.

I would highly recommend to have an antivirus software running background checks all the time and it is recommended to use an antivirus software (like Norton Antivirus which is my favorit) which contains an auto update function which contacts the software company everytime you log into the net for the latest antivirus files.

Other ways (besides emails and CD's/floppy disks) to infect your computer are file sharing programs and sometimes you only need to open a website to download malicious code (especially if you surf in the darker parts of the net :devil:)

Therefore I would strongly recommend to obtain a very good antivirus software like Norton or McAfee combined with a firewall (IMHO easiest to use Firewall: Norton Internet security, very good freeware firewall:Zone Alarm).

Actually when I set up a computer this belongs to the first pieces of software I install.

Another website to run a free online virus check is:

symantec security check click on "check for security risks" down on the right side.

If you use Outlook express be sure to have downloaded the latest version and the latests patches - you can check for the latest updates very easily in your Internet Explorer if you open the Menue Extras/Windows update.

Good luck

Says gawguy:

How can I have a virus!? I have been in Thailand for 3 months and never on line with this computer.

Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?

Go get them and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from.

And tell them you're too stupid to own a computer. :p

Maybe you have had this virus on some data transferred to the PC? As you have not been connected, this is a likely cause.

Anyway, I can just join Mongatu in his recommendations. Trend online scan is a good one.

If you have identified your problems 100% to be virus, o.k. But with so and so symptons, do not blame it on virus unless a scan says so.

Cheers!

Says gawguy:

How can I have a virus!? I have been in Thailand for 3 months and never on line with this computer. . . . I logon to the internet check email and download a few zip files. . . .

Btw, forgot to mention that it sounds like you have, in fact, been online with this computer. When you logon to the internet you are online.

It's possible that you could have a virus- A Panthip copy of Flight Simulator 2000 I bought a couple of years ago had a virus on the installation file. Nice one...

However, it's not possible from what you're describing to know if it is a virus or not. Why do you think your dialog box is bogus? Sounds like a program that is crashing when your computer tries to close it on shutdown. I have that problem with some MAME32 games- the program crashes and uses up most system resources unless I go into the task manager and close that specific application.

First step I'd suggest is finding out what that Dialog Box Demo program is associated with. Run the task manager during a successful boot and see if you can determine which process it is. Run msconfig and see if it is being loaded on startup. If you're experienced enough to do so, use regedit to find out where it is loading itself.

Cheers!

Archived