seeking really COOL Thailand souvenir ideas

Hidy Ho

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the women< I always buy out 1/2 the store at Naraya. (1st floor world trade, soi Patpong, Sukumvit near Emporium)

Also some wooden placemats and chop sticks.

Bras and underwear

Copied sunglasses and tshirts

Pantip CDs ( great for dad)

copied Wallets and bags

thai whisky

a sample of Thai spice packages ( tom yum etc)

But I am sure they will be just as happy with a Jazz smile

Guest lazyphil

I bought back one of those cheap little red and gold wooden Buddha Shelves for Buddha paraphernalia on for a good friend who lived in LOS with his falang mrs working for WorldWide Fund for Nature. They are both total LOS junkies and were, lets say very happy to have this (cost 100 baht!), when ever we go to see them its always adorned with flowers and decomposing fruit :D

Guest lazyphil

<<That's not a bad gift. Very cost effective, I like May actually be something for Mother Straycat next time around!>>

Its always a pleasure to help out a fellow cheap charlie :grinyes:

>>>Speaking about amulets, what about a Palad Khik. At least they're mostly small <<<

problems with palad khik is that the good ones are hard to find and not cheap, lots of fakes around too. most newly made ones do seriously lack in artistic quality unfortunately.

Monks Bowl, the ones that they collect their alms in. I pick one up everytime I'm in Thailand, just go to the munks bowl village, its listed on the Nancy Chandler map. When buying makesure you get on that was made by hand. They come in a big or small size and painted black or plain. Just make sure that when you ask for a hand made one they wrap up a hand made one.

problems with palad khik is that the good ones are hard to find and not cheap, lots of fakes around too. most newly made ones do seriously lack in artistic quality unfortunately.

You're certainly right about that. They're very hard to find & I mostly only see the "big" type that look like nothing else than a dildo (the type that are somewhat common in Thai offices & various businesses [they're palad khiks, right?]). However, the suggestion was mostly meant as a joke here. I'm not sure Mother Jazz would appreciate a palad khik. :)

But while we're on the subject, can you recommend any particular shop/area/monk/wat to find a good palad khik -- in or outside of BKK?

Archived