seeking really COOL Thailand souvenir ideas

Hidy Ho

My favorite souvenirs are:

1. Monk Bowl (Monk Bowl Village)

2. Small Spirit House (Siam 99 Gems and Silk across from Siam Center)

3. Carved Buddha (Siam 99 Gems and Silk across from Siam Center)

4. Large metal Buddha (Siam 99 Gems and Silk across from Siam Center)

5. Carved wood panel (various shops along Sukhumvit)

6. Amulets and trinkets (Amulet market, temples, Wat shops)

For friends:

1. Artwork (Sunday market at Sala Daeng)

2. Carved Soap (Sunday market at Sala Daeng)

3. Silk (Sunday market at Sala Daeng)

4. Mekong

5. Software, DVD, music

Pieces of artwork (drawings, paintings, or photos) are especially nice because one can fit quite a bit laying flat in a suitcase. The prices at the Sala Daeng Sunday market are also very reasonable.

One can get a lot of good ideas from Siam 99 Gems and Silk. Stop by and have a look. If you have an idea of what you want and what you want to pay, Siam 99 Gems and Silk will do a good job on the price. They?ve been able to better every price I?ve walked in with.

A stroll though the weekend market at Mo Chit might give you a few ideas.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says HIGH THAIED:

Best souvenir idea:

Bring along photo's of person(s), their house, pet......whatever. Then give photo to one of those incredibly talented Thai guys who will turn your photo into a hand drawn work of art. Best I've seen are in Pattaya. Some are so good their drawings look like a photo itself, only a lot larger.

Best effect is if you don't let the person(s) know you have taken photo(s) with you, and then present full-color rendition upon your return. Guaranteed to go on the wall, and be looked at every day.
:up:

P.S. You can just roll up in a tube, and bring it home with you, taking up very little luggage space. Just remember to place protecting covering over chalked/painted surface, so doesn't smear onto the back when rolled up (mostly for chalk drawings). Most artist will give you this for free, and have on hand for you.

HT

This is a good idea.

Can you tell me how much you pay for an average one?

Sometimes i ask friends what would you like me to bring back for you from Thailand and most say ""oh just something small".

I have seen these guys working and just did not think at the time of having one done as a gift.

:up:

While the picture idea is a good idea, I wouldn't do it for those who live near a major cosmopolitan city that has a large asian population. Especially if that city has street culture.

Asian portrait artists have been ubiquitious in New York since the early 90's

<<burp>>

Hi,

>>>>>Can you tell me how much you pay for an average one?<<<<<

A very wide range here. Depends greatly on talent of artist. Best to scout out while you are there, and then pick the best towards the end of visit, after you have seen most of their work. I think I remember a few thousand baht, for the very best. Of course, you can get for a few hundred baht, for a simple sketch. The top guys will spend many hours, and produce a remarkable product.

Had a L/T once, that wanted our pictures taken at MBK. I then took one of them, and had portrait done from it, which she seemed to like a lot. Although I'm sure she would have preferred gold. ::

HT

...'Bring along photo's of person(s), their house, pet......whatever. Then give photo to one of those incredibly talented Thai guys who will turn your photo into a hand drawn work of art. Best I've seen are in Pattaya. Some are so good their drawings look like a photo itself, only a lot larger.'

I've had oil paintings, done from photos, at KC Gallery, on Pattaya's Walk Street. Damn fine work and very well received by the recipients. You can have the painting framed, in your choice of wood for some extra $ and they will package it for carry-on, for the plane ride home. I highly recommend their work!

Also, for most folks, I just go to Bo-Bae market (in BKK) and load up on various sizes of polo/golf shirts. These are available in all major brand names and cost a mere 90-Bt. Similar shirts sell for up to $40 US in the States. I also have found long & short sleeved shirts, with printed patterns for 60-100 Bt, depending on the material. Good quality...as I still wear those that I bought over 3-years ago. Similar blouses can be bought for the ladies at home. Just get assorted sizes and distribute them based on the wearers size. I've never been hassled by customs for bringing in a load of clothing or the paintings.

Young girls go ape over unique hill tribe purses.

Bamboo fans and umbrellas.

Especially nice I think are the photo albums. Only a few hundred baht for the nice ones.

The round flutes are cool, axe pillows, and various boxes made from bamboo and stones , yhat are like little jewlers boxes.

Belts made from wood are hard to find in BKK, but maybe you will see them. Really cool. Nice pens from wood also.

Rice paper lamps are eveywhere.

Tkae a few hours thru the weekend market and you will get everything you need in one trip!

Archived