seeking really COOL Thailand souvenir ideas

Hidy Ho

Folks,

I have a confession ... I hate typical tourist activities and I hate souvenir shopping.

*BUT*

I need to score some major points with my family when I return home and was thinking of "buying" their vote with gifts. I'm seeking input from y'all for really cool stuff to bring back home (USA). :help:

Also if you could just let me know where to go to buy the stuff, I'd appreciate it. I'm in BKK right now.

P.S. Size DOES matter - inversely. :grinyes:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Also if you could just let me know where to go to buy the stuff, I'd appreciate it. I'm in BKK right now.

Just go to Suan Luan night market, next to the Lumpini Park. Hundreds of "boutique" shops, nothing like the stalls along the Suk.

Good shops, no junk, mostly yound and family Thais there. A kind of a promenade. No traffic.

Few nice restaurants, no p4p, you may well enjoy the place for a difference.

If you have a female companion with you, she would most love the outing.

Most shops open 2pm, until 11pm or later. Nice shopping town, IMO. Clean, no touts, prices displayed, barganing possible.

If one can compare it with similar venues in the US, Scottsdale, AZ, comes up to my mind (still, a Thai version of it).

Spare at least 3 hours for the visit, such a variety. Go around 6pm to catch one quiet hour.

Guest lazyphil

I bought one of those 4 (maybe higher?) feet solid wooden Thai ladies home in the wai position. Very heavy and awkward to carry. Covered it with many many layers of bubble wrap to bring home. Funny thing was we didn't get charged any excess for being over weight. Worth the effort bringing back. Gets lots of good comments sat there. Chatchuchak;1300 baht.

something which i always thought makes a very thoughtful present was going to a temple and ask a monk for some little amulets. very unique to thailand. don't buy them on the market, you can also buy (or in thai "rent") them inside the temples, get the real deal from a good monk.

and then, depending on your budget, you can get them set in gold, get a silvercasing, or a plain stainless steel one. get a chain for each amulet too.

small, and not necessarily expensive.

I usually bring some Issan home-made blankets. Thye are nice and colorful and can be put in good use where I'm from. Of course, I don't know if you can buy these as I get them free from upcountry (for some reason the old folks are worried that the fragile farang will freeze in Thailand :: )

Agree with FZ amulets are a good way to go, easy to carry.

You can tell the recipient the story of how they are made from earth and plants and some metal, blessed by the monk and provide protection, luck etc depending on the type. If they want to know more can send them to the web at thai amulets Don't give any to the holy roller types :nono:

One time (and one time only!) shopped at the small market that used to be behind the bars at soi ten. Shipped home a crate of stuff, only US$200.00 to get it from los to LA. But getting it thru customs at la than having a shipping company bring it to eastern US was alot of paperwork and $500.00 more. My 30,000 baht purchase turned into 60,000.

A couple of bottles of Mekhong or Lao Khaaw? A load of packets of real spicy, Thai noodles? A Pussy Galore mousemat?

One of those ornate china tea/coffee sets from Chatuchak market? Includes tray, pots/jugs/cups/saucers. In fact, just wander around Chatuchak and you'll get some ideas.

Archived