How well do you communicate with your in-laws?

pattaya127

AS I just wrote, I can visit the village alone, and though my thai is mediocre, I know enough vocabularies and lousy sentences to get around to speak on many subjects, and explain what are the problems with my GF.

I must say some idiotic sentences many times, but i have never seen anyone making fun of me. And Mom drew tears in my eyes :( the last time I went there, she said she will miss me when I go back to the States. And she is not a big talker....

Hi stickman,

Not quite sure why?

Well, one reason could be that your present command of thai easily surpasses their command of english.

Where I normally stay in LOS (upcountry) it sure doesnt take much thai to surpass their english ::

I realize that you live in bkk and that here is is a quite different ball game.

They sure appreciate it!

And then there is a small group of thais who are so proud of their english that they refuse to speak thai to you. Well, fair enough although it at first is a bit awkward when I address someone in thai and they reply in english, because they see I are a foreigner. ::

cheers

hua nguu

Hi P127,

I would never dream of visiting the in-laws alone. I could but I wouldnt.

For starters it would imply a 14 hours busride in 3 different busses.

Within 5 minutes after arrival we would probably have exhausted our conversation, not due to language problems but due to the fact they my in-laws are the most phlegmatic and least curious people I have ever met in my life.

Then the brother-in-laws will turn up with just about every male in the village and within seconds arrange a lao khao/Lao Yaa Dong drinking party.... oh, please ::

Normally it takes less than an hour before they are totally shitfaced. And then all of a sudden they all have the guts to "talk to the farang" Unfortunately, they are not able to construct a sentence anymore. That doesnt mean that they dont try and it is quite tiresome to listen to the drivel.

After a couple of hours everybody go back to sleep and I am pretty much left alone, thank you very much.

Now I have the opportunity to fully enjoy the charms of rural issarn village life. And the charm consists of?? Ooops, you got me there ::

Sorry about my negative attitude, I have spent too much time in places like this living in the same house along with the rest of the family. (16 people)

Problems with wife? I wouldnt dream of mentioning it to the in-laws, they would definitely not appreciate it. In their book that should be worked out in private.

We got married 11 years ago in this village and I recall the day when we left for Europe. We were having a meal together, my wife got up and said we are leaving. Everybody just went on with their meal, conversation went on as usual, nobody got up, no hugs, no kisses, no goodbyes, no nothing. They didnt walk us to the busstop that was only 200 yards away. For all they know they would perhaps never see their daughter/sister again. They sure know how to maintain face around here.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Hi,

"I have found that over the last year or so, I find it easier to talk with Thais in Thai, than in English."

Same here. Most of the Thais in the office speak English fairly well to excellent, yet I still often speak Thai to them and they to me.

At home it is similar, my wife is making a serious effort at the moment to improve her English (and making good progress) and wants me to talk in English to her. The problem is that speaking Thai to her is now so ingrained in me that I often just don't remember. When I am around her I even think in Thai.

Sanuk!

there is one thing that i still feel kinda put off by when i go there and my GF's bro is there. Everyone waits for our car to arrive, and within the hour, kins are coming from nearby houses to see and welcome me. Except that little guy, he just sticks with his buddies across the street, and If I ask my GF why he does not come say hello at some point, she says he is shy. I don't buy it, it's been going on 3 years that i visit her family and I went to his wedding (indirectly, i helped, since my GF "lent" the sin sod), with great pix of me and the boys partying. You guys are often turned off more than me by thai antics, but that's one that gets me, not even able to simply come and say hello (not just him or in the village). Some kind of macho stand in front of his friends, I dunno. he is 28, for Chrissakes!

And the charm consists of?? Ooops, you got me there

---------------------------------------------

Shame on you, HN. Issan rules! You just needed to have your buddy 127 to come up from Korat and visit you for :beer:!

There's a swedish guy in the village, so I must say it's a good diversion to break up the afternoon and down a few beers at his place. He mentionned to me he wanted to break up with his GF (I would not blame him, never heard a woman speak so loud just talking), but lately he e-mailed me he will be back next winter. i am glad about that. OK, blahblah village talk, I know, but if you guys thought that would be a forum where i'd be uninspired, TS ::, ahah!

I can communicate very well with my father-in-law even though my Thai is far from perfect. He is just a very easy going guy and never tires of spending time with me. Often I only understand 1/2 or 3/4 of what he says but I don't think he even notices. The only uncomfortable part is that he drags me all over town to show me off to his friends. One of his other daughters has a farang boyfriend but he always treats me with deference. It was very awkward when I was last there and the boyfriend was treated as an after thought. I guess I bonded with my wife's family the first time I met them because I showed a keen interest in their culture. Got up at 5AM several mornings to offer food to the monks without being asked, said the proper Pali prayer at the Wat when we went to make merit, etc.

My mother-in-law on the other hand is a very quiet person. She is very much old school where the women don't really participate in the men's conversations. It's really too bad as she is a nice person.

The funny thing is that although I have some great conversations with my wife's family while I'm there I'm very uncomfortable speaking Thai on the phone. They are very polite about it and don't press my wife to put me on the phone but she will insist. Once we start talking it gets a little easier but it is still awkward. I guess I have some kind of disconnect where I need to look at the other person to quickly understand what they are saying.

Hi P127,

Shame on you, HN. Issan rules! You just needed to have your buddy 127 to come up from Korat and visit you for !

Would definitely appreciate this.

Just hope that you have better "mileage" than the Lao Khao bunch ::

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived