What is this red substance old ladies are chewing?

thalenoi

Rinding my bike tour this morning I met this old lady who spit (not at me luckily) a red substance to the ground. I hope it wasn't blood...

Anyone knows what it is?

Remembers me the gf's marriage last march the 13th in a small Udon village.

WE arrived the 12th to find out the marriage was postponed to the 15th, TIT...

The 14th we had not much else to do than to attend the marriage preparations. Around 10 old ladies with rotten teeth worked all day to make a beatifull flower piece. Most of them were chewing this red substance and spitting it out in a bucket. Seemed to be a ceremony to get the stuff out of a metal box similar to a tobaco box, but I did not watch closely to the rest of the proceedings.

Maybe that's also the origin of the rotten teeth???

Hi Thale...

What they are chewing is betel nut. (Also known as 'paan' in India). Its used as a digestive after meals, and when taken over a period of time becomes addictive and stains your teeth a horrible reddy/black colour. Its really popular up north in the hilltribes, and in Laos as well as China. In India, you'll see little red splodges on the footpath as you walk along the street. Also in India, the "paan-wallahs" who sell it, have all different sorts of paan - flavours, strengths etc. etc - and a top-rated paan-wallah with a good reputation will actually sell his top paan concoctions for a pretty expensive price.

Cheers,

Fly P.

Tried this beetle nut once and will not do that again, :drunk: felt like nearly passing out for a few minutes, this beetle nut comes from a palm tree called a beetle nut palm you can see them growing all over the place, the Thai's call it maak and they mix it a few different ways, the way I have seen it prepared most is wrap it in a leaf with a bit of tobacco and some orange paste mixture called in Thai boon (not sure what this paste is in English maybe someone knows) chew it up and spit it out in a spittoon if at home or on the ground if out and about,

A good test of just how well you understand spoken Thai or E-sahn is to listen to an old woman with a mouth full of maak talking. I've tried but it's like trying to understand a girl saying something with her mouth full of one-eyed trouser snake.

The first time I saw a hill triber spit the red juice and smile I was horrified at what at the time I assumed was a very serious dental problem! ::

Hi,

"A good test of just how well you understand spoken Thai or E-sahn is to listen to an old woman with a mouth full of maak talking."

Hahahaha. My mother-in-law and some the other old ladies upcountry chew this stuff and you are right they become virtually impossible to understand.

My wife does not seem to have a problem understanding the grunts and snarls though :)

Sanuk!

I am surprised you never heard of betel chewing before, and never seen old ladies doing it. My Gf's Mom and all the old ladies in the village near Korat are chewing it a lot, it's quite a ritual to see them prepare it (reminds me of the 70's rolling doobies :drunk:).

It's also a social activity for these elders. I think you will not catch many thais under 60 into the habit.

Archived