Predicting Thai holidays?

Neon Ninja

Howdy,

Anyone know a web link or someplace that lists the upcoming Thai holidays and what date they fall on?

It seems to never fail that I'll have at least one Thai holiday per visit, and will end up having a wasted day.

I'd like to be able to plan my trip around these so-called "holidays" as they interfere with MY holiday. :cussing:

Thanks for any info!

-=/NN

The thailand section of asiatravel.com has a listing of public holidays. The next holidays are HM The Queens Birthday on Aug 12, Chuklongkorn Memorial Day on Oct 23 and HM The Kings Birthday on Dec 5.

Says tman:

The thailand section of asiatravel.com has a listing of public holidays. The next holidays are HM The Queens Birthday on Aug 12, Chuklongkorn Memorial Day on Oct 23 and HM The Kings Birthday on Dec 5.

Thanks, found it!

Am I right to assume that 2004 will be fairly close to 2003 holidays?? I know they go by some lunar calendar or something, but it looks safe to plan for June 2004. Ummm right? ::

June would be perfect.... It's out of season, I get to miss Cobra Gold when in Pattaya, I get to miss Songran, hurricane season (here in Florida) will not be in full swing yet, no chance of getting "snowed in" at some northern US connecting airport. :: :: ::

Hey, when you can only go once every two years, you gotta make sure all of your ducks are in a row! :)

-=/NN

The days given by tman are the fixed ones, following the normal calendar. Same every year. To make it more interesting there are also other holidays that follow the lunar calendar. Predicting Thai holidays seems to be very difficult for some reasons, but I think that June 2004 should be safe.

The site http://ash-hotel.com/siam/holiday.htm gives the Visakha Bucha day to May 3, 2004. Provided that there are no elections (and the next big ones should - I repeat should - be in 2005) you should be able to have as many beers as you want in June 2004.

The period between the Queen's birthday (12 August) and Chulalongkorn Day (23 October) is the longest period Thailand goes without a holiday. To be absolutely safe, come in September; never a holiday in September. There are a few holidays, religious in nature, that are set by the lunar calendar, but they don't vary too radically. Chinese New Year is not an official holiday here, but you might want to avoid travel then, too.

remember the few with fixed dates (birthdays of HM's, Memorial and Anniversary days (Coronation, Chakri Dynasty, Chulalongkorn, Constitution etc.), learn the Lunar Calendar and how to calculate the holidays depending on this (major Buddhist holidays like makabucha, visakarbucha, kao pansa and asakabucha, chinese new year, add the election days and you can perfectly plan your holidays!

Archived