Underwater world pattaya review

whosyourdaddy

After hearing all the news about how popular the underwater world (UWP) was over the holiday weekend, my wife ,a few of her friends and I decided to head down to the UWP.

Arriving at the hotel and asking trying to findout where on sukumvit road the aquarium is, we were shocked to find out nobody knew about it. I guess it hit the bangkok papers and the gossipmongers, before anyone in Chomburi. Just by luck we were driving back from Jomtien towards the outlet mall and we passed it.

It was really busy and parking was a nightmare. 180B for Thais and 360 for farangs. I thought at 360B it would be a steal since I have been to the ones in Singapore, Auckland, and Vancouver. With a real love afair with fish ( my major in my bachelors) and an avid tropical fish keeper, I was excited.

But at the end of the day 180 B saved is an 180B saved so I got my wife to buy the tickets and just went though the gates without any troubles on my Thai National ticket.

UWP is slated as the largest in SEA. I am sure they were covering all the water in the toilets, sinks, and the ground the day that the flood entered the place when they came up with this figure. Singapore must have at least 100% more fish and a much larger living area for them.

UWP, like most of pattaya is a disappointment. It could offer so much but they take too many shortcuts. There is no atmosphere with the blue concrete walls. It feels like you are in blue cell.- dry, sterile and empty, just the opposite of what you would think of when you enter the ocean.

If you dont have wheels you may have some problems getting back to town. Although it is on the main road, the only other foreigners we saw there, were walking back to Pattaya. No transport. Unlike the other ones I have been to there are no moving sidewalks going under the water and with the thai walking pace it made it most unenjoyable. Plus there are very few signs within the tunnels to explain that is going on and the signs that are there are just a picture and the name without any useful information ( location , food, etc)

I would presume gettting there would cost you 70B or so by bhat bus charter(one way) , plus 360 for entrance would bring you close to 500B .. Definately not worth the price!!!

Save your 500B for something else that tastes like fish while in Pattaya, UWP is a NOT WORTH IT!

Guest lazyphil

As with most attractions like this in Thailand i.e zoos, theme parks, crocodile farms etc tend to be a bit crap and to top it being in Pattaya (Pattaya isn't my cup of tea and have never been, Patong beach was though I heard the bgs were more sophisticated ::) I would have taken a guess that this wouldn't be on a world class par with Vancouver and Auckland. Its not rocket science to suss that out really. As you find Pattaya disappointing in the first place why waste valuable time and petrol in your new automobile and go somewhere else.

Do your homework in future as you must have done on your fish major. Might save yourself future disappointment :grinyes:

Archived