Am I getting a good deal (Brisbane - Jakarta) ?

gobbledonk

Guys,

I asked the local travel agent to put together a 'package' for 7 nights in Jakarta over Chrissy and she came back with a price of $AUD 2130 for the Garuda return flight and accommodation (I will get a further 5% off this - woopee :) )

Initially, I thought it seemed a little high, but given that I am going during THE peak period (December), its not too bad. I am staying in a '3-star' hotel (not sure what that means in Jakarta, but they are throwing in breakfast), and the quote includes all transfers.

Now that I'm typing all this out, its starting to look like an increasingly good deal : I could easily blow that kind of money on lesser attractions. Whew - I'm glad I sorted that out !

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, TB - it does seem like a good deal, particularly for a small concern (not Flight Centre). Now all I have to deal with are the naysayers who suggest that an Aussie travelling to Jakarta in 2003 is a little like Christians going to Rome back when lions were kept as pets ....

Thanks, Jai-Dee, but we need to bear in mind that everyone seems to jack up their prices in December. Not sure if this applies to non-tourist destinations, but its certainly the case in every major destination in Oz and Asia that I know of.

I believe that the quote does include taxes, and things like transfers do add to the bill, not to mention the agencies cut on the deal :)

Artiew maybe you could ask to the agent before paying what's the name of the hotel included in the package.....JKT has a congestionned traffic, it's almost impossible to move during daytime unless you're ready to spend hours in a taxi .... so any hotel too far (Slipi, per example) from the main daytime hunting areas (Pasaraya Plaza, Plaza Senayan, or the Kota joints if North JKT is part of your Sanuk's schedule) are to avoid IMO :dunno: ;

If you want send me a PM, to locate the hotel ;

Cheers

Prosal,

Hi - you are like an angel sent from above :)

I just got another quote from a different travel agent (caveat emptor. or something), and I indicated that I wanted the costings for business class with Garuda included AND I wanted nine nights instead of 7 (staying for NY Eve). This is what came back :

Economy + Shagri La Hotel : $2215.95

Business + Shangri La : $2833.95

Economy + Ibis Slipi : $1833.95

Business + Ibis Slipi : $2454.96

That includes all taxes, transfers to and from the airport, and my flight to and from Brissie - sensational pricing, IMO. I was about to post asking about the Slipi when I read your post - incredible timing :)

My questions now are :

1. Will the Shangri La be a better choice in terms of central location ?

2. What do you recommend re NY Eve ?

I'm sure some members are thinking Oh, just make the bloody booking, Nimrod ! by now - apologies, but my last trip taught me the wisdom of looking into things a little more closely before handing over the credit card :grinyes:

Its less about the dollar value, and more about getting value for every dollar. At the moment, the $2833 figure looks like a winner, but I have to wait for a couple of other quotes to come back to me. Patience, lads - this Nimrod will eventually make a booking and go back to admiring his reflection in the monitor :neener:

Archived