Am I getting a good deal (Brisbane - Jakarta) ?

gobbledonk

PS One of the travel agents keeps telling me to keep an eye on the DFAT website : whilst I admire her candour and sense of responsiblity, nothing short of attacks-on-Aussies-whilst-they-slumber-in-their-hotel-beds will stop me from making this trip. I dont expect the 'war on terror' to cool off anytime soon, and a life spent hiding under one's bed is no life at all.

Death or glory :beer:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says artiew:

Economy + Shagri La Hotel : $2215.95

Business + Shangri La : $2833.95

Economy + Ibis Slipi : $1833.95

Business + Ibis Slipi : $2454.96

My questions now are :

1. Will the Shangri La be a better choice in terms of central location ?

2. What do you recommend re NY Eve ?

Artiew i would without a doubt choose the Shangri La , which is one of the best hotel in town with a perfect location between Plaza Indonesia and South JKT.... the pub/disco (kind of sports bar with live music) located in the Shangri La basement (Bat's) is recovering a new success due to the new latino band, and is surely one of the best option with CJ's in Mulia to spend New Year's Eve party ; big advantage for you Artiew is that you'll find in Bat's a billiard :: (and countless freelancers :grinyes:!) ;

Cheers

....located in the Shangri La basement (Bat's) is recovering a new success due to the new latino band, and is surely one of the best option with CJ's in Mulia to spend New Year's Eve party ; big advantage for you Artiew is that you'll find in Bat's a billiard :: (and countless freelancers :grinyes:!)

that's true and very large percentage of those really beautiful freelancers are ladyboys! :cussing:

Says jp1:

....located in the Shangri La basement (Bat's) is recovering a new success due to the new latino band, and is surely one of the best option with CJ's in Mulia to spend New Year's Eve party ; big advantage for you Artiew is that you'll find in Bat's a billiard :: (and countless freelancers
:grinyes:
!)

that's true and very large percentage of those really beautiful freelancers are ladyboys!
:cussing:

:: I must be stupid (goblok) or blind but i never saw only one ladyboy in Bat's and in fact i never saw a ladyboy in any Jakarta club, except in JJ's where THE only one hangs out there since years :dunno: ;

Prosal,

I was there last year for an area meeting, about 1 week before these terrorists hit at Bali. Several of my colleagues and myself spend both evenings in the 'Bat-Disco'. Lots of girls and ladyboys. Took one girl, who was really beautiful and 'interviewed' her in my room. Just told her that if I discover that she's a ladyboy, I'll kick her out of the room, but if she tells me the truth, I'll give her some money. She was very reluctant but then she started telling me her story. She was indeed a ladyboy but perfectly rebuilt. She showed me the 'master's work' and it was really remarkable. A nice guy, ehh girl but not what I was looking for. She also admitted that there are only very few guys who really found out. I was kind of proud about this. Btw we spent a couple of hours just talking with each other. At least I learned that perfect ladyboys are not the product of Thailand alone. :hubba:

jp and prosal,

Thanks again for the feedback - Shangri-La it is. Even if I never go into the bar you mentioned, if its central then I can go to any number of places, nightlife and otherwise, without venturing too far from the hotel. Thats what dreams are made of.

Although its off-topic, I still dont believe that I would *not* be able to spot a ladyboy, of any race, within 5 minutes of striking up a conversation. Several times in Thailand, I knew that something simply wasnt 'right' : it doesnt have to be as blatant as the Adam's Apple or a deep voice, its just an instinctual thing. Part of it is that I tend to gravitate toward women who are earthy, no-bullshit types, and that usually means that anyone who is 'too feminine' or doesnt know how to laugh long and loud gets left at the bar. Whether I've ever been with a post-op tranny is impossible for me to say, but I cant imagine that vaginal sex would be comparable to the 'real deal'.

I'm not bagging ladyboys, or the members who enjoy their company, simply saying that I dont think it would be a problem, even if this bar is wall-to-wall ladyboys :)

I think it does not matter that much as you stay at the hotel I think you will not be charged the entry fee & can just leave if you feel the place is a majot lady boy hangout or simply an off night whatever & head to CJ's ::

Actually I'm thinking of visiting JKT for xmas/new year as well in combination with LOS, so we might even be able to check out the lady boys together if you so fancy? I won't be staying at the shangrila though as it's a bit outside my usual price range...

Cheers :beer:

Hi lb13,

A get-together sounds like a splendid idea. I also intend PM'ing some of the Indo regulars closer to my departure date to see if we can all get together for a drink. A bit frightening when you consider the mental image we build up of one another and the guys we've all seen trolling the LOS - massive beer bellies hanging out of torn Hawaiian shirts .. you know who you are, Pete :neener:

At the other extreme are the new breed of 'cool dudes' who seem to gravitate toward a 'better class' of nightlife - they spend hours in the gym and considerable time in a solarium. Personally, I think I fit somewhere in between : I can usually find a pair of long trousers to wear in public, but very few Aussies have ever been accused of 'over-dressing' for any given occasion :)

Anyway, whatever our respective appearances, most of the board members have a good sense of humour and appear to be able to cope with the strenuous demands of alcohol consumption in exotic ports. I look forward to catching up with as many of them as possible during my 9 nights in Jakarta.

The Iblis ... oops Ibis Slipi charges about 210,000 a night. Really a great budget hotel, but as a bundle I say go for the Shangri la. One thing about Ibis Slipi is if you were to be in Jakarta for professional training (Cisco, IBM, Oracle, Sun) its very close to Inixindo which is the primary vendor training facility for Indonesia. The cost of training is very inexpensive compared to what you have in Oz or the West. Could put a new spin on Pay 4 Play ;). You would just have to see if any training you wanted was offered in English.

Archived