I never knew this!!

bangkokbutcher

I have just been reading the British Embassy (Foreign & Commonwealth Office) advice page on Laos ( Link here).

Although there is some pretty valid info on here about safety concerns etc, I did however come across the following piece of information on relationships:

"Sexual relationships between foreigners and Lao citizens are not permitted under Lao law. Permission for marriage or engagement to a Lao citizen must be submitted in a formal application to Lao authorities. Penalties for failing to register a relationship range from 500 to 5,000 American Dollars and may also involve imprisonment."

Wow, now although this probably will not involve many of the guys on this board, but I for one am married to a Thai with a Laotian ancestry (few generations past I think), so it did make quite an interesting read.

I am just extremely happy that some of her parents, parents, parents decided to cross the river to start a new life in Thailand...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been told buy I guy who lives there that the police often raid peoples' houses to try and catch them in the act.

Girls often also use this law as a means to blackmail their Farang / Buksida lovers.

He told me about his mate who had his girl staying as a 'maid' the police raided his house and he stashed her in another room... the place was awash with guys brandishing AK 47s apparently.

::

Yeah, these type of slightly xenophobic countries, have all these laws, kinda put in the drawer, and popping out on you, when they really want to annoy or fleece you.

A typical case is charging journalists with rebel activity, for reporting from the insurgents side.

In Burma, they have a law about changing money at the official rate, 1000% lower than the street, or even the central bank. In a drawer too, can always be added to a series of indictments.

IMO

Archived