Do Foreign Men in Thailand have integrity?

Brink15

OK all you judgmental whoremongers, sexpats, and self-professed cultural elites. Do you as a group have any integrity?

(Now that statement was made with tongue firmly in cheek.)

I must admit I have avoided reading most of the thread I'm satirizing here. Generalizations, upon which the question ?Does a certain group have integrity?? is based, seem to stem from some sort of ignorance as does all stereotyping.

So just to prove the point lets see how riled up any of you get trying to defend yourselves.

If you pay women for sex does this bring into question your integrity?

If you are an expat who has given up the life ;) but still hang around the periphery or make money from this industry does that bring into question your integrity?

If you consider yourself above the fray and only consort with Thailand's elite yet still occasionally stray or make use of local corruption or poverty for your own gain does this bring into question your integrity?

Are you in a position where you feel you can, in good conscience, judge an entire group of people?

Discuss.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<If you are an expat who has given up the life but still hang around the periphery or make money from this industry does that bring into question your integrity?>>

Oh, you mean like expats who loath the 'scene' now and sell banner space on websites advertising BKK bars and sex clubs? :hubba:, now thats integrity for you!!

Brink,

NOTE: The use of the word "you" is not directed at you but refers to readers in general.

Very good post. I have been thinking for the last couple of days on how to respond to the initial thread. You stated things pretty well. After reading the initial thread I first thought about what gives us the right to judge and to what/who's standards do we judge by. The real definition of integrity is sincerity and honesty which Websters lists as the third definition. So let's ask the question:

1. Are bar girls sincere? I would say the majority are sincere. In fact I think that is one of the reasons we keep go back or live in LOS. It is also one of the aspects we dislike about western women is that they are not sincere. I think in BG what you see is what you get. I mean this on an individual basis. Some are better than others and some are great women. A few are bad. I would estimate that at least 85% of the girls are just trying to make a living, eat, support the family and their kids(s). I really don't think you see BG's trying to represent themselves as someone other than they are.

2. Are bar girls honest? I believe the majority are honest. During my total of only 4 trips to Thailand I have never a single baht removed from my room, been the victim of a scam by a BG or been pumped for extra money. In fact I have had several BG's tell me that I gave them more money that was agreed upon. I actually had one girl give me back money 2 days after I had taken her. I only stayed with her for one night. If a BG keeps to herself other aspects of her private life (thai boyfriend or other falang boyfriend) is that really our business. No it is not. It is just part of the scene. How many westerners attempt to evade the truth when confronted. Most do. So why is it that we except such total honesty from BG's.

3. I really don't understand why some put these unrealistic expectations on BG's, Thai people and Thailand when those excpectations are not met in their own countries. These so called first world countries. I have seen far worse behavior from falangs than I have from Thais. Next time you are in a cab ask the driver how much he gets if he takes you to a massage parlor. I was surprised how many right up told me 300-500 baht.

I just really don't understand how we have any right to judge them. The abject poverty they grew up in, having to survive being a girl, no real educational or career opportunities. Why is it that there is a direct relationship to increased unemployment and increased crime in western countries. People have to eat and pay bills.

Do bar girls have integrity? I would say yes.

Now that I am off my soapbox I do have a question for you in regards to your statement:

"(Now that statement was made with tongue firmly in cheek.)"

What cheek and Who's cheek are you refering to? :hubba:

How many westerners attempt to evade the truth when confronted.

-------------------------

just picking up one sentence from your great post. You are right, very few would have the guts to say at work, or to their family:

"yes, i go to Thailand (also) for the women, and yes, I have to pay them, and i still probably do care more for them than your fucking PC would have us think you do. And if you don't like it, TS!"

Now, that's honesty and sincerity.

Archived