Bangkok Expats' Association

MekhongKurt

Lordy . . .

It's 3 o'clock in the morning, I ain't making any money off this, but I feel like a complete idiot. . . . I keep getting e-mails telling me what a sorry so-and-so I am. And to think I only wanted toi be part of a group trying to something good for foreigners. . . . terminally stupid, I am, I guess. . . .

Mekhong Kurt

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"I have no idea why guys would send you E-mails"

That bit surprised me a bit as well. I did not send any email, and if any members here did send abusive emails to Kurt then I find this rather inappropriate of them. This was between Kurt and me.

So, Kurt, if any of the members here send you email that was out of line then I apologize for that.

Sanuk!

Mekongkurt,

I like your initative and your concept/idea so don't let a few complainers get to you via e-mails.

I think it is a great idea but there will always be people bitching about process and rules.

Those people will not be the ones who will contribute or be part of a foundation anyway.

As we know there are doers and whinners and they are easy to tell them apart rather quickly....

I will try to make next Sunday to find out more....

Cardinalblue

I appreciate your succinct comments on Sunday's meeting.

And I imagine you're correct that some, if perhaps not all, the profits the venue reaped by hosting the meeting were taken by the rounds offered on the house.

This has already become problematic. Several of my friends who own other bars have complained to me, asking why I didn't arrange to have the meetings held in their establishments. Once I explained I didn't even know the association existed until *after* the venue had been established, they have stepped back, but still, it is getting wearisome to have to explain again and again.

All I want to do is to try to be part of something I believe can benefit us, the expatriates. If it happens that someone makes a profit in the process, I personally have no problem with that, particularly if the person(s) profiting are doing something to help the association directly.

Perhaps it will help clear the air if I say that Thai law requires a physical address, so to have a fixed venue helps legally. Yes, I could use my home address, but I have my doubts that inspectors from the Ministry of Culture, which is the ministry with which a non-profit organization must register, would accept my apartment as an "office" for the association. And I did discuss this issue with my lawyer, who counseled me to this effect.

Several of my bar-owner friends have explicitly forbidden me from even mentioning the very existence of the association in their premises. I will, of course, observe their edicts -- after all, their bars are THEIR bars -- but it does rather sadden me. Given the sorry state of affairs as they now stand for entertainment venues across the board in Bangkok, I fail to see how my boosting their venues at meetings will hurt them. On the other hand, if I am not allowed to mention the association in Bar X, then I am not given to mentioning that bar as a supporter of the association -- as I did Sunday -- at association meetings.

Let me be clear. I have no children, but the closest thing I'll ever have to a daughter is a young Thai lady whom I've known since she was 16. At her Mother's behest, she runs a bar owned by her Mom, a place that doesn't even open until 7:00 P.M. I went there last Friday to post a notice of Sunday's meeting, though my "daughter" was out of town with her visiting American fiancee. I posted the notice -- as the lady's "Father" I have considerable latitude of action in her establishment -- but the following day the poster had been removed. When I asked the staff why, no one could answer other than to say they had decided to remove it. As a result, at Sunday's meeting I omitted that bar as one that was showing support for the association, although it is run by one of the dearest people in the world to me.

All I want is for the association to be a successful resource for foreigners residing in Bangkok.

Archived