Do Some Thais Forget Somethings About Thailand?

Torneyboy

We just had a welcome home dinner for my wifes sister after 11 days in Thailand with her new man.

Bkk for 2 days then to moms home at floating markets and then Koh Samui.

She asked me if i get an upset stomach in thailand ...""yes but i take immodium with me at all times""

Blank face ..so i showed her some and explained etc.

i asked her did you drink bottled water?

In Bkk yes but not at my moms home.

She has lived in Oz for about 8 years and visits Thailand for a week or so once a year.

Then was telling my wife about koh Samui.

Were eating at a restaurant outside when the staff rushed around putting things inside ( no clue as to why)and then bang down comes the heavy rain and both got soaked to the skin (sorry for her not for him) so off to the hotel to get changed.

We told her we had a great time at the Grand Hyatt Erawan top band and fun dancing etc.

Told us the place was full of falang (yes good hotel why surprise) and many ladies (again surprise surprise).

Then said drinks were very expensive etc.

She i think has turned into a falang IMO

Does not go anymore to the temple with us and has falang Cds in her car and virtually no Thai stuff in her home except for some clothes she bought in BKK.

Mention Karaoke and no way will come in our group..will go on picnics with all of us however.

Great girl BTw and is family but i think she has forgotten her Country in many waysIMO.

Is this common with Thias living in falangland can they forget things about everyday life and follow the falang ways ::

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Is this common with Thias living in falangland can they forget things about everyday life and follow the falang ways "

Yes and no. There is no book of rules here.

Your question is as silly as asking if all aussies behave like this or that! Sorry TB, but Thais are individuals as well.

I have 2 examples, my ex who never forgot where she came from. And a stuck up Thai man living here, who always want to be a big guy... for him, the most important thing is being the best in his village when he goes back.

Cheers!

Says check_bin_krap:

"Is this common with Thias living in falangland can they forget things about everyday life and follow the falang ways "

Yes and no. There is no book of rules here.

Your question is as silly as asking if all aussies behave like this or that! Sorry TB, but Thais are individuals as well.

I have 2 examples, my ex who never forgot where she came from. And a stuck up Thai man living here, who always want to be a big guy... for him, the most important thing is being the best in his village when he goes back.

Cheers!

Ok.

But was trying to say she has forgotten it rains like hell and drink bottled water ...the simple little stuff..she is smart as as they come btw.

How can a Thai not know it is going to bucket down at this time of year :doah:

I just think she is way for long periods and forgets things?

Re Aussies we are silly anyway...blame the brits ::

Was meant as a serious question..i watch over my wifes sister as she is in a period of her life where she could make some big mistakes..

Thais are individuals..yes of course but she appears to be changing in many basic ways...away fom Thai...hard to explain .

Well TB. It seems familiar.

Some people when they move up in society disregard their roots. Others, we can watch and learn from - and that includes many Thai. I have seen both sides from Thai people.

No, she has not forgotten. Its her way of saying "I am not there now, and I am a different person".

Cheers!

Says check_bin_krap:

Well TB. It seems familiar.

Some people when they move up in society disregard their roots. Others, we can watch and learn from - and that includes many Thai. I have seen both sides from Thai people.

No, she has not forgotten. Its her way of saying "I am not there now, and I am a different person".

Cheers!

But to go to your own country and forget some basic stuff ::

And not visit the Temple in ""either"" country...appears to have turned her back on her country/culture..maybe wrong here...but is not a ""Thai Lady"" anymore....imo ::

TB,

The whole discussion about loss of own culture or identity seems to me a bit immature. Your sister-in-law is old enough to decide on her own what to do and what not. If she?s forgotten something which you or your wife feel is important, so be it. She lives since a long time abroad and such a behavior is quite normal. I?m living for more than 2 decades outside of Germany. I never even think about anything German. When I?m over there on business trips or short vacation I hear my friends also complain that I?ve changed ? but so what. We live in and adapt to our environment. There is nothing wrong with that. I would be much more concerned about somebody living for over a decade in another country and still behaving like being at home. This is, in my eyes, a sign of inflexibility or gross disregard for the culture of his/her new home country. So, in a nutshell: your sister ? in ?law behaves quite normal.

>>>And not visit the Temple in ""either"" country...appears to have turned her back on her country/culture..<<<

dunno, but are you visiting the church regularly here or back home?

i don't. i only visit the church back in europe for christmas midnight mass, and then just for the music and nothing else.

Says jp1:

TB,

The whole discussion about loss of own culture or identity seems to me a bit immature. Your sister-in-law is old enough to decide on her own what to do and what not. If she?s forgotten something which you or your wife feel is important, so be it. She lives since a long time abroad and such a behavior is quite normal. I?m living for more than 2 decades outside of Germany. I never even think about anything German. When I?m over there on business trips or short vacation I hear my friends also complain that I?ve changed ? but so what. We live in and adapt to our environment. There is nothing wrong with that. I would be much more concerned about somebody living for over a decade in another country and still behaving like being at home. This is, in my eyes, a sign of inflexibility or gross disregard for the culture of his/her new home country. So, in a nutshell: your sister ? in ?law behaves quite normal.

Normal for a Thai not to go to temple ...we go weekly,,,she only if special and only if we insist.

She has changed i agree with you..but to go ""home"" and forget the basics of her country..ok maybe my wife and i love Thailand more than her?

Nothing wrong with that you say...again ok but is a worry for us...the family lives and breathes thailand and she has become......well different in her own ways.

Normal...well we (not just me or us) feel she is changing or has changed for the worse :(

Archived