Bringing money in inexpensively

rickfarang

One of the aspects of having a home in Thailand that I have been trying to optimize over the last couple of years, though with little success, is bringing in money in such a way as to minimize the fees associated with the transfer.

I want to bring over a few thousand US$ every few months.

International ATM transfer fees are (150 to 200 baht per transaction).

Traveler's checks are expensive at about 2% of face value + the fee for each check.

International wire transfers run $45 per.

So, it looks like for transfers of a few thousand U.S. dollars or so, bring a wad of cash is the least expensive, though not attractive alternative.

What methods are most popular? Any other ideas?

I'm sure others have thought about this at length.

RickF

International ATM transfer fees are (150 to 200 baht per transaction).

Most banks charge under 100 baht. But even at 200 baht ($5 US ) for immediate transfer of several 'thousand' it's nominal. In fact downright cheap. Can not understand what you can complain about. Or are we bored tonight? :: :hubba:

An important factor not to overlook for that amount of money is going to the exchange rate! For example, on top of the 2% you pay for TC's, you then lose even more exchanging the money into baht. My understanding of best to worst exchange rates: ATM, TC's, cash. Wiring is all over the place and really depends on the institution.

My US-based Bank of America checking and money market savings accounts are linked to a VISA debit card / ATM card which allows me to withdraw up to $1,000 per day. The transaction charge is $1.50.

Given that Thai ATM's dispense a maximum of 20,000 baht per transaction, it would cost $3 in fees to withdraw 40,000 baht (approx. $1,000) worth.

Didn't say a wire transfer. :banghead:

As KS says, your ATM card is good for at 1,000 a day (and you can ask to have your limit raised. An offshore account or premium account can allow 10,000 a day withdrawal. And at the best rates an individual can get for exchange. If you need more than that, then :censored: :censored:

>International ATM transfer fees are (150 to 200 baht per transaction).

Any Australian bank would charge you about 1.5US$ per transaction, which may be 20K bahts each. Then u can do another one after few seconds time. Been doing that for years, no problems, no surprises.

US banks are somewhere there, if not better.

I usually bring about $8,000 in every 2 or 3 months and use the telegraphic transfer. For the convenience of doing it one go instead of hitting ATM 15 times over the same period, it is worth it to me. Still use BofA ATM for general spending money though.

TH

Archived